Chapter Twenty-Three: The Protector's Test

I recalled how Lorely had spoken of the guardians of the Summer Scepter back at her apartment.

They are a force to be reckoned with, young knight. Despite their appearances, they are extremely dangerous.

Of course the witch didn't mention the small fact that the guardians were mermaids.

The shimmering tails whipped past the windows of the taxi, and I screamed as pale, slender hands reached through and grasped Glen's wrist. My cry was transformed into small bubbles that rose uselessly towards the surface.

I desperately swam forward, trying to reach him.

Glen didn't fight back, but smiled as he was pulled through the submerged windows and into the open harbor. The last thing that I saw were his wings, slipping into the the darkness.

"Glen!" I yelled, choking as water streamed into my lungs.

A collection of luminous faces loomed outside the taxi windows, looking in at Diandre, Jared and I. They were all women, breathtakingly gorgeous women with flawless features that made me look lame and bland in comparison. Their appearances were other-worldly, with long wavy hair in a variety of colors, shining eyes, smooth skin and puckered lips.

My stomach roiled with fear at their unwavering, unsettling gazes. Their pearly white teeth were sharpened at the tips.

Then, in a blur of scales, they attacked. Viscously, a toffee colored arm reached in to pluck Diandre from the taxi. I grabbed Diandre's arm, fighting with all my might to pull him away from the mermaid's grasp. Threatening hisses echoed in the harbor.

I whipped my ice sword towards the arm, but underwater my movements were slow and clumsy. The mermaid instantly jerked away, and with a haunting smile, she grabbed Diandre by the collar of his shirt and dragged him away from me. His gray eyes, normally crackling with energy like a storm, were fogged under the mermaid's beautiful illusion as the mermaid playfully ran her slender fingers through his hair as she swam away with him.

I whipped around to find that Jared had been taken too. There was just an empty driver's seat now, and I could almost picture his phantom shadow at the wheel, flashing us a friendly smile.

My entire being felt hollow. This definitely wasn't going to end well.

The crowds of mermaids peered in at me, their perfect faces pressed against the glass as their sparkling tails glittered like jewels. My grip tightened on my sword. My lungs were already bursting; I was going to drown soon. There was no denying it.

I almost laughed at the irony. The Master had cursed my heart to kill me at the Midsummer's Festival, but I'd be dead before then. My body would float to the surface of the harbor, pale and waterlogged. Forgotten.

I decided that I might as well go down fighting. With a bubbling cry, I kicked out at the taxi door. The hinges creaked and gave in, and it fell heavily into the sand. Through the murky cloud, I swam out of the taxi and swiped at the mass of mermaids with my sword. It glowed an icy, electrifying blue as magic energy pulsed from its blade. The glow illuminated the mermaids' glittering eyes, and their lips that curled back with hunger.

My wings were so heavy underwater. They threatened to pull me down, like bone crushing weights strapped to my back. I ignored them.

The mermaids, dozens of them, formed a tight circle around me. I couldn't see anything beyond their curved figures and flowing tails. Once again, I was trapped.

The mermaids surveyed me amusedly as I slashed at them with my sword. They were too fast; with a powerful stroke of their tails, they would be far out of reach of my blows. I wanted to scream in frustration. Nothing was working, and I was running out of air.