Chapter 4

First period moved slower than a snail. Second period wasn't much better.

Aurora and I share all the same classes, except for our majoring subjects. I'm majoring in photography, whereas she's majoring in audiology. I guess she wants to help the hearing impaired or something. It's a nice thought, I suppose. For as long as I can remember, Aurora has been selfless and encouraging to everyone she meets. She'd be good at it, I have no doubt. Though, I can't help but to wonder why she picked such a boring career. There are lot of other vocations that produce the opportunity to help people, vocations that are a lot more interesting.

I, however, have chosen a very interesting career. As a photographer, I will get to travel the world to historic and beautiful places, capturing images of antiquated architecture and breathtaking sunsets, not to mention my Instagram will be flourishing with new followers once I start posting my work.

Third period rolls in and I feel all giddy inside. World History is next; my least favorite subject, but Xander being in this class makes up for it. I take a seat in the second row from the front. Xander casually strolls in a few seconds later carrying a single textbook and notepad tucked between his arm and rib cage, plopping down in the seat by the window. Aurora walks in next and takes a seat in the chair behind me.

Mr. Petrelli, our history teacher, opens up with a greeting followed by a long-winded farewell, wishing us all the best on our college lives. Well, those of us who will be going to college. He starts getting all emotional, saying how he's been a teacher for nearly twenty-five years; the faces he's seen, the minds he's edified, and how he will miss teaching this class of students. I want to speak up and tell him that after today, I will forget his name, his face, and that Ben Stein voice of his, but I swallow my words.

We open up our textbooks to Petrelli's appointed page—the room is suddenly filled with the sound of papers ruffling—and begin reading about the War of 1812. I try reading the opening paragraphs several times, but my attention drifts each time as I imagine what tonight will be like and how everything will unfold. The Hawks are playing against the Westbrook Knights; a formidable team with a skillful lineup, but not nearly enough skill to overpower my Hawks. Each team had battled other schools from all across the state and were now ready to face one another for the championship. I mentally rehearse how I will throw myself into Xander's awaiting arms as he and the rest of the Shadow Hawks take turns thrusting the trophy above their heads.

I'm yanked out of my fantasy as a finger taps on my shoulder. Aurora is guiding my thoughts to what Petrelli had just said. I look up; his firm glare is directed at me. How long had I been daydreaming? "Um. Can you repeat the question?" I recruit the most innocent voice possible.

He removes his square lens glasses and rubs his eyes. There's a red mark on his nose from where the bridge of the glasses had been resting. He sighs, letting the oxygen drain from his lungs for a good three or four seconds. "One thing I will not be missing is your lack of studious effort, Miss Barlow." A ripple of soft laughter wades through the classroom.

I feel my cheeks grow warm. "Excuse me?" My voice comes out a little stronger than expected, but it gets the rest of the room to shut up quickly. "I've faithfully sat here for four years listening to you drone on about pointless things. Therefore, I am very studious thank you very much!"

"If you are indeed as studious as you profess, then you shouldn't have a problem giving me the answer to my question." My palms moisten, and I rack my brain for an answer or at the very least a legitimate excuse. After a few seconds of silence, he shakes his head. "I'm disappointed in you, Miss Barlow." He scans the faces of the other students, raising his voice. "Let this be a lesson to the rest of you. If you go through life letting your mind wander, not harnessing it and focusing on what is important in life, you'll never make it." His beady eyes settle on me once again. "You will simply waste away your life on fantasies only to wake up one day realizing that you've grown too old and too set in your ways to ever change."