Chapter 34

Six Months Later . . .

Second chances.

How many people in the world are given such a blessing? It's hard to believe that I was once a prisoner to that old chair. In a weird way, I almost miss it. A life without legs. That had become my life for just over a year, a year that—in one sense—flew by, and in another, it crawled. At one point, I had given up on the fantasy of ever walking again, but thanks to the help of some very special people, that fantasy has become a reality. No matter what some people say, dreams do come true. I'm living proof.

I hear a small gasp to my right; I turn my head. Aurora is standing there with her fingers cupped over her mouth in awe, seemingly unable to tear her eyes away from the sight of me standing on my own two feet. "Bestie, you've done it! Oh, I always knew you would. I just knew it!" She practically leaps on top of me in a hug. I quickly dig my wooden cane into the dirt, stabilizing myself so as not to topple over the edge of The Bluff.

"All of it still feels so new," I say. "I have to learn how to walk all over again." I try wiggling my toes from within my Converse All-Stars, grinning as I feel them move. "But it feels wonderful!"

After I took my first steps, almost six months ago now, it was a gradual process of me regaining my ability to walk. Every now and then, I find myself briefly losing sensation in my legs which causes me to stumble, sometimes even collapse altogether, but I can walk. That's something I truly never thought I'd say again.

"I'm gonna miss this place," I breathe.

Aurora shoots a curious glance at me. "Whaddya mean, Bestie?"

"I've made the decision to go to college. Spring classes start next week."

She claps her hands together excitedly. "That's great! Photography?"

"No. I want to do something more fulfilling than photography, so I chose to major in Rehabilitation and Caretaking, much like Desiree. I want to help others get a second chance like the one I have been given. Who knows, maybe I'll even get a job working at White Guard. If I do, then I'll be able to see Calix and Maverick every day."

Aurora's bottom lip quivers. "But . . . what about me—us? What about all the things we've done, the memories we've created? We were going to be each other's Maid of Honor one day. I can't live without my Bestie!"

I shift uneasily, dodging her heartbroken gaze. I've played with this illusion for far too long. I can already see it's going to be difficult breaking things off.

How do I tell her?

Aurora's eyes slowly widen, as if she's already realized what I'm thinking. "I'm not really here . . . am I?"

My whole body tightens, and I slowly shake my head from side to side.

She wipes away tears. "Was I . . ." Her voice cracks. "Was I ever real?"

"You were real to me, every second of you."

She turns away. "I guess . . . I guess this is goodbye then?"

I try not to cry, knowing it will only make things harder, but after a few moments of battling the welling emotions, a warm tear slides down my cheek. I loop a hand inside my best friend's. "You're my favorite hello and my hardest goodbye, you know that?" Her green eyes meet mine, and I can't help but feel responsible for the sorrow that's written on her young face. I suck back a deep breath. "It feels like I'm losing you all over again."

"No, you're not, Bestie. I'll always be with you." She points at my heart. "In here." Then tightly wraps her arms around me. I don't want to let go. I can feel us parting, her arms sliding away from me. She turns toward the canyon once again and begins to walk towards the edge. My hands are shaking, heart thumping in my ears. I desperately want to scream for her to stop, to lunge forward and pull her in close. But I know that I can't. This is goodbye.