Chapter 25

It wasn't long after Calix had helped me up off the floor did Desiree decide that we had done enough PT for today. I can't say that I was the least bit disappointed. Right now, all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a bowl of chocolate syrup drizzled popcorn and watch any movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

I had texted mother a bit ago to tell her that my therapy session was over and that I was ready to be picked up. She responded immediately saying that she'll be here in ten minutes, so until then, I wait outside by the curb for her to arrive.

Behind me, the automatic doors to the Center slide open and the sound of plastic scraping the ground follows. Moments later, Calix comes up beside me, Teddy in hand. "You eat, right?"

His odd question doesn't faze me; I've heard stranger things come from Maverick. "I've been known to eat a thing or two in the past." My dry tone causes him to chuckle lightly.

"Well, ya know—food, it's a marvelous thing to experience. Even better experiencing it with two people, don't you think?"

My mouth falls open just a little. "Calix, are you asking me to dinner?"

He shifts uncomfortably in his stance, switching Teddy to the other hand. "I, uh . . . well—" A pause. He nervously clears his throat, then a sudden surge of confidence flows forth. "Milady, I've known you now for fifty-eight days—a number I sincerely wish to see grow—and I think it's time I take you to dinner."

I feel my cheeks warm. "Calix, I—" Mother pulls up in the van, cutting my answer short. She hops out, her short legs stretching to reach the concrete below.

"Hey, sweetie! And Calix; always good to see you. How are you?"

He gives mother a polite nod. "Better than I deserve, ma'am."

Mother slides her bronze aviator sunglasses on top of her head. "Please, call me Trish."

"But of course. And may I say you look lovely today, Trish." Mother laughs politely, but I can see she's just as confused as me. Why does he keep saying that? He can't see her, can he? Obviously not. So why does he keep saying that?

Before I'm able to ask, Maverick rushes outside, panting dramatically. "Cal! You loon!" I find it a bit ironic him calling someone else a loon. "You and Wheels here were going to leave without me, weren't you? Don't deny it! I can see it in those black eyes of yours."

"You do realize that these 'black eyes' of mine are sunglasses, right, mate? They're not my actually eyes."

His words suddenly beg the question. What color eyes does Calix have? I've yet to see them.

It takes Maverick a good while before he answers. "Yes . . . I knew that." He doesn't sound at all convincing.

Calix laughs at his friend's atypical behavior. "I'm not going anywhere. I was just seeing McKenzie off."

Mother cuts in the conversation as she moves in behind my wheelchair, guiding it towards the ramp. "It's my baby girl's birthday next week."

I had completely forgotten about my birthday being next week. With all the craziness that's happened over the last couple of months, I haven't really given much thought to anything except getting out of this wheelchair.

Mother lowers her head next to mine, rubbing our cheeks together. "I haven't had the chance to do any shopping, so I thought we could go to the mall and you could pick out a few things. Does that sound okay?"

"Yeah. That'd be great, mom." I guess DiCaprio will have to wait.

Maverick's shocked look catches my attention. He then cups his hands over both of Calix's ears, shaking his head wildly. "Cal, Cal! They're going to the mall. The mall!" He releases his hold on Calix, then stares blankly at the cloudy sky. "I've always wanted to go to the mall. I hear they have something called," he chokes over his words, "a food court!" Those final words explode from his lips. "Cal, can we go?"