Chapter 5

Jade was slowly starting to become just like every girl and woman out there who was infatuated with Prince Carter. So when she realized that Prince Carter was standing behind the couch, her eyes grew wide and she quickly jumped off the couch and came over to me. I looked over at her as she leaned in and asked me if her hair looked okay. Before answering her, I actually looked at her hair to see that it was perfectly fine and then looked back at her face to tell her just that. She seemed pleased with my answer and that I wasn't lying to her so she walked over to Prince Carter, smiling at him the whole time.

I watched as Jade stuck out her hand and greeted the prince, who in return took her hand and shook it. He smiled back at her and told her that it was very nice to meet her. Jade looked very thrilled at those words like she was the only one he had ever told that too, but I'm sure he had recited those words to everyone that he had ever met. I glanced over at Zach, who in turn looked at me and rolled his eyes.

"I think some rules are in order while you're staying here Carter, just so you don't overstay your welcome. My sisters are off limits. Especially the fourteen year old one your shaking hands with," Zach said. I chuckled quietly as Jade exclaimed, "I'm fifteen Zach!"

"Fourteen, fifteen, whatever. She's still underage and off limits," Zach replied shrugging his shoulders as our little sister glared at him. He knew exactly how old his second little sister was. I wasn't sure who was dreading the day Jade turned eighteen more, Zach or Dad, but they were both counting down the days and knew as each year ticked by Jade was closer to becoming eighteen years old so Zach definitely knew that Jade was fifteen.

"Is that the only rule you have?" Prince Carter asked Zach. I looked over at my brother to see if he had any more rules, but I had a feeling that was the only one.

"Right now, yeah. My parents might have some though so beware that there might be some rules issued to you at the dinner table tonight," Zach responded as he shrugged his shoulders.

Zach wasn't just overprotective when it came to boys with Jade. It had been the same way with me until I had turned eighteen. He was still overprotective sometimes, but he knew his boundaries now and that I was able to make my own decisions. Since Jade was only fifteen and still learning about boys, he had treated her the same way he had treated me. It wasn't a bad kind of way that he treated either of us, but it was something that could get annoying when you thought that you knew everything and that your older brother had no idea what he was talking about.

And Zach had the habit of embarrassing us in front of boys that we had crushes on so that was another thing that was annoying with the way that Zach handled Jade and I being interested in boys. I had learned not to bring around any boys until I thought they could handle my family and would stick around after they had met them.

"That's fine. My parents have rules for me to follow so I'm not surprised your parents have their own rules. I'll be happy to follow them since they're allowing me to stay here without payment. I didn't exactly bring any money with me," Prince Carter said shrugging his shoulders as well.

"Oh, you'll have to pay them in some way," I said. Prince Carter looked over at me with a confused look on his face as he said, "What?"

"They'll require you to get a job. Or maybe help around the house since getting a job might help your parents find you easier," Jade said smiling at him, answering for me.

"I've never really worked at all," Prince Carter replied looking over at her.

"I'm sure our parents will start you off easy," Zach said shrugging his shoulders.

My siblings and I had always had chores after we had turned ten. They grew a little more as we got older and for me and Zach, they had slowed down after we had gotten our jobs. Zach and I had still had one chore that we were required to do while we still lived here though. Jade had the most chores since she was still under eighteen and older than Logan, but Logan would eventually catch up with her. He had only started doing his chores since he was eleven now. Our parents were never unreasonable though and never gave us more than we could handle.