Chapter 21

Just about ten minutes before dinner was supposed to be ready was when the rest of my family came home. Since Logan had soccer practice today and Jade had ballet after school, they had to wait for Dad to pick them up, which is why they had all come home at the same time. On days that they didn't have their after school activities Mom brought them home if she wasn't working of course. Most days Logan and Jade's after school activities landed on the same day so it usually wasn't a problem with getting them home.

There were times when they had their after school activities on different days, but somehow Mom and Dad always figured out how to get them home despite only having one car. It was getting a little harder now with the paparazzi always camped outside. Mom and Dad were finding out who they're real friends were and they were finding out who wasn't.

They had gotten plenty of offers for Jade and Logan to get a ride home from them, but most of them just wanted a glimpse of Carter. Or they wanted their fifteen minutes of fame. That was the reason for them offering to drive home Jade and Logan.

None of them were really doing it to help out Mom and Dad. They did still have people that they relied on to give Jade and Logan a ride home when neither Mom and Dad could do it themselves, but when those people couldn't do it, Mom and Dad found a way to have one of them be the ones taking Jade and Logan home. People offering to give Jade and Logan a ride home was just one of the ways that people were trying to get into Mom and Dad's good graces and act like they were the best of friends.

It was something to be expected of when you get thrown into the spotlight yourself. You find out that the friends you thought were friends, aren't really your friends. Fame is a funny thing. And it does funny things to people you thought you could trust. I had already had to cut some people out of my life that I thought were friends of mine, but it wasn't a big loss because I had put my trust into the right people and those were the ones I were closest to.

"Are we running a dress shop out of the living room now?" Dad asked as he walked into the kitchen. I could see Jade and Logan following right behind.

"There's so many pretty dresses!" Jade said excitedly.

"No, honey. Morgan has been invited to dinner with Carter and his parents this Sunday," Mom said putting down the spoon she had been using to stir and heading over to her husband, giving him a kiss when they reached each other. I heard Logan throw out a yuck before coming over to the table and sitting across from Zach. Jade came over as well and sat down across from me.

"Did you pick out a dress?" Jade asked me still sounding just as excited.

"No, because Carter's mom gave me ugly choices. Not all those dresses are in my size," I replied.

"You're going to have a real hard time winning her over," Jade said.

"That would be a miracle if I were to ever win her over," I responded.

Jade nodded her head in response as I heard Logan ask Mom what was for dinner. She told him to go wash up and he would find out in just about five minutes. Logan groaned but did what he was told. He came back into the kitchen just as we were serving ourselves. Jade came into the kitchen a few minutes later since she had also left to wash up. They both got in line after grabbing a plate for themselves. Not too long after that everyone was sitting down at the kitchen table and starting to dig into their food. It was a good ten minutes before a conversation was started up at the table. Everyone seemed to be ready to get their faces out of their food by then and talk about how their days had gone today. After everyone had mentioned about their day, the conversation went back to the dresses in the living room and the dinner that I would be having on Sunday with Carter and his parents.