Chapter 25

When the car pulled into the driveway of my house, Carter told the driver that he was going to say a quick hello to my family and then he would be back. The driver didn't stop him so Carter got out and then walked around the car to get to me. I think Carter might have thought that the driver had been given orders to bring him back home once I had been dropped off instead of being able to get out of the car to talk to my family and then say goodbye to me.

Carter and I walked hand in hand up to the front door with cameras flashing in the background. Before I could knock on the door, it opened up and revealed my mother standing there. She smiled at the two of us and gestured us into the house. I had a feeling that she had been watching for us, but that was okay because I didn't want to have stand too long on the porch as we waited for someone to open the door for us.

I hadn't brought my keys or purse because I didn't want to forget about it and then give the queen a chance to go through my purse or copy my keys. That was something that I wouldn't be surprised to hear about if it were to actually ever happen. And I wasn't going to be the one to give the queen the chance to do it. So, I had decided to leave my keys and purse at home, knowing that everyone was going to be home when I did finally come home.

"So how did it go?" Mom asked us as we walked into the house and she shut the door, locking it once it was closed. There had been a couple times where the paparazzi had actually come up to our door and tried to open it, only to find that it was locked, so we were always careful to make sure that the door was locked at all times.

"Not so well. Carter and I ended up eating by ourselves, but I got to meet his siblings," I replied looking over at Carter. He looked a little nervous and maybe that was because he was worried that my family was going to be upset that his parents weren't giving me a chance. Or treating me very nicely, but I don't think my parents would blame Carter. They knew what kind of people the king and queen are. My parents wouldn't be surprised that I wasn't treated kindly.

"That's disappointing. Did you two at least have a good night?" Mom asked me.

"I guess it wasn't that bad. It could have been a lot worse. I'm actually kind of glad that Carter and I were able to have dinner without his parents. It would have been a very uncomfortable dinner if we were forced to have dinner with them," I responded while still looking over at Carter. When he glanced at me, I smiled at him, which made him smile back before saying, "I wish my parents had treated Morgan better, but I guess it's expected that they didn't."

"True, but maybe someday they'll change," Mom said as Dad came into the room.

I was actually surprised that he had just come into the room, as well as being surprised that no one else had come into the room either to get an update on what happened. Maybe not everyone was home and those who were home, meaning Jade and Logan, had actually been told to go to bed. I wasn't quite sure what time it was, but if it was time for Carter's siblings to go to bed, then it might just be Jade and Logan's time to go to bed as well.

For sure I knew that Logan had been told to go to bed, but maybe Jade depending on how late it was now that I was actually home. I wasn't sure how long Carter and I had waited for the car to arrive while we were standing on the palace steps.

"What happened to your dress?" Dad asked his face scrunching up in confusion. I was actually surprised that wasn't Mom's first question. She seemed to have not noticed that I was wearing a different dress than the one that I had left in, but now that it had been brought to her attention she looked me over and realized that I was wearing a much different dress than before.

"Carter offered a more comfortable one after we left his parents to have dinner on our own," I replied adding the last part for my dad so that he knew that we hadn't had dinner with Carter's parents like we were supposed to.