Chapter 10

When the car reached us, it pulled over onto the dirt behind us so that it was no longer on the road and anyone driving down the road wouldn't have any trouble getting past the black car or worse crash into it because they couldn't slow down fast enough. A few seconds later the driver's side door opened up and a man in a black suit stepped out of the car. He smoothed out his suit jacket and looked over at us as he shut the door. I heard the car lock as I looked over at Prince Carter. It was obvious by the look on the prince's face that he was not happy to see the man that was walking over to us.

If Emma were still here then she would probably know who this guy was, but unfortunately she wasn't so I had to wait and see if one of them was going to let me know who this man was. All I could figure out though, was that this was someone from Prince Carter's life since it was clear that Prince Carter knew who this guy was. My guess was that this was his bodyguard. The man certainly looked like a bodyguard with the suit and the sunglasses. And with how serious he seemed.

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?" Prince Carter asked as the man stopped before us. He didn't make a move to take off his sunglasses so I couldn't really see his entire face and tell what he actually looked like, but I could tell that he didn't look that happy. Maybe he didn't want to be chasing after the prince.

"You haven't been as careful as you thought," he replied.

"Who told you where to find me?" Prince Carter asked.

"No one you've talked to since you've been on the run," he said his head slightly turning towards me before turning his head back to Prince Carter. I saw the prince glance over at me for a second before he looked back at the man standing before us.

"I'm not going back," Prince Carter said sounding a bit worried. I'm sure that's what he thought was going to happen with this man showing up.

"I didn't expect you were going to come home easily, but it's dangerous for you to be out here on your own with protection. You have no idea what people are capable of," he responded.

I swear he was looking at me when he said that. It definitely felt like a dig towards me and probably my family as well. The man was right though. Prince Carter had no idea what people are capable of, but that didn't mean that everyone was going to hurt the prince. There were some people, like me and my family, who wanted to help him. I think though that Prince Carter's parents wanted him to believe that everyone outside of the palace wasn't going to have his best interests at heart.

They wanted him to believe that everyone who wasn't in their inner circle were people that couldn't be trusted and would end up hurting him. Instead of letting Prince Carter find out for himself who the good people were and who the bad people were, they were telling him that because they wanted to choose who their son interacted and hung with out for the rest of his life. And I knew I was not one of those people they wanted their son to be seen with. I wasn't in that inner circle of royalty and the rich.

"I can handle myself and I've found people who only want to help me," Prince Carter replied.

"That's because they have you fooled. You'll eventually see that you can't trust anyone beyond the city walls," the man said. I felt like he was still looking at me.

"I'll be the judge of that. My parents are just scared that someone is going to change my views of the world and that I'll rule differently than they have," Prince Carter said. He didn't seem to want to back down to this man. I wondered if they were actually friends or if Prince Carter wasn't fond of this guy whenever he was around.

"Sounds like your friend needs to learn that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Same thing applies to people. They are bad people out here, but there are some good ones. I have no intentions of holding the prince captive and demanding money from the king and queen. He wanted to see what was outside of the palace and that's what me and my family are doing. We're helping him, not hurting him. Get to know someone before you assume the worst of them," I said looking from the prince over to the man standing before us.