Chapter 41

Carter and I walked into our hotel room and immediately took off our shoes. We plopped down on the couch and I saw my husband reach for the remote. He turned on the news and we watched that for a bit before I decided to change my dress. Being queen meant that every public appearance I had to wear something different. I knew it was because the queen was supposed to appear like she had all the wealth in the world and I did, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to change three or four times a day.

Sometimes it was more than four times and I hated those days, but I knew complaining wasn't going to help me. I didn't always have to change multiple times a day every day so I decided not to complain about it. It wasn't like I had to pick out the outfits on the day I was to wear multiple outfits. They had already been picked out weeks in advance. All I had to do was approve and then wear them.

But that didn't mean that I'd didn't rather stay in one outfit all day long because I would. Maybe in time I would get used to having to change my outfit multiple times and it wouldn't be such a hassle. Well, it could still be such a hassle, but maybe it would eventually not bother me so much because it would become a part of my daily routine. I wasn't used to having to change my outfit multiple times. In the past if I ever had to change my outfit, it was because the one I was wearing was ruined somehow.

"Don't forget to change your jacket before we leave," I said after I had changed out of my first dress and into my second. Carter had to change outfits as well, but his outfit was quick because usually all he had to change was the jacket he was wearing. Unless he was wearing a suit, his outfit changes were quick and easy. He was probably used to the outfit changes because I had never heard him complain about.

But Carter usually didn't complain about all the things that only royalty had to do and I knew that was because it was how he lived all his life. I did tell him that I didn't like changing my outfit so many times, but I made sure that I didn't ever become annoying about it. Making sure that Carter knew that I was trying to adjust to his lifestyle was a priority for me.

It was all going to take me some time to get used to everything and we both knew that. I was now fully royalty and it wasn't going to be a quick and easy transition. That was something that I needed to keep reminding myself until I was used to this lifestyle.

"I should probably do that now," Carter said getting up from the chair he was sitting in and walking over to the closet. I'm sure that he would have waited until the last minute to change his jacket if I hadn't reminded him.

"Did Ethan tell you if your mom was there?" I asked him as I grabbed my shoes for the new outfit and then headed over to the couch to sit down. I dropped the shoes on the floor near where I sat down. They wouldn't be put onto my feet until we were just about ready to go. I didn't want to put heels on when I didn't need to wear them just yet. Carter came back with a new jacket on and sat back down in the same chair.

I had never stayed in a hotel before I had met Carter. My family had never gone somewhere where we needed to stay in a hotel. So the first time I had ever stayed in a hotel was with Carter. And I found out that not every hotel room looked like the one we were staying in now and all the ones we would be staying in. It made sense when Carter explained that there were just basic rooms that most of the population stayed in because that was all that they could afford and then there were the people like Carter who could afford the most expensive hotel rooms that were larger and had more in them. I didn't think I was ever going to see what the smaller rooms looked like, but I could imagine them.

"No, he hasn't said anything. I'm not sure if he knows yet. She might have not been easy to spot. I know Ethan put guards all around the event so he just has to wait until he gets all the reports from them. We might not know until the end of the day. It was a big event with a lot of people. Usually not that many people turn up to a ribbon cutting ceremony, but I think people really wanted to see you do your first royal duty as Queen," Carter said glancing over at me before looking back at the television where the local news was still playing.