Fifth Times the Charm

Fantastic 5: Rise of the Silver Surfer | The Storm Ignites | Fifth Times the Charm

The fight was over.

The Destroyer was gone and the world had been saved, for the second time if you count Victor to be the first. Actually, well, they've saved the world several times due to their powers, depending on how you interpret 'saved the world' anyway.

The Five were slowly walking down the street where buildings and certain things were badly damaged. Reed was holding Sue's hand while Ben stood at the end, and on the other side of Reed was Johnny and June. Johnny hadn't let go of her since she accepted his proposal, he kept his arm wrapped around her waist, keeping her as close as possible.

"So," Ben started, looking glum as he spoke, "I guess this is it then." Recalling the fact that Sue and Reed were supposed to be leaving the group after the whole 'Surfer-Crisis' had ceased to exist. "We all go our separate ways."

Reed didn't even have to think about his answer, "No." He denied.

Ben looked over to him and Sue, shock evident in his eyes, "No?" They didn't mean ... ?

Sue was the one to speak this time, agreeing with her fiancé, "No."

Johnny didn't look so sure as to whether he believed them or not, "No?" He questioned this time with doubt lacing in his voice.

Reed smiled slightly, liking their reactions, "If it wasn't for the team, the whole world would be gone by now." He explained, gesturing to the streets that were pretty banged up. And it was true – if it wasn't for the Fantastic Five ... the world wouldn't even be around anymore.

No more life on Earth.

Sue agreed with him, "We can't run away from our responsibilities and the people we need to protect." She grinned, finding the looks of shock on Ben and Johnny's face amusing. June, though, she just had a smile on her face – maneuvering herself slightly so just her hand was held in Johnny's. "This is who we are."

Johnny let out an exasperated groan, "That's what I've been saying." He exclaimed, looking mildly annoyed – but on the inside, he was very happy about the final decision. Becoming the 'Fantastic Three' didn't sound as cool as the 'Fantastic Five'.

There was still a little doubt in Ben, but couldn't help but ask, "What about having a normal life?" He paused, "A family?"

June chuckled, "Who says you need to be normal to have a family?" She questioned rhetorically. Looking between the team, shrugging lightly with a knowing look, "We're already a family."

Sue smiled at that, hugging herself into Reed's arm as they continued down the street, "So," She began, glancing up at her future husband, "Are you up for another media circus wedding?" Not feeling as bitter about it as the last time around. It's probably because, after everything that's happened today, she just couldn't bring herself to react badly to it.

Maybe they should just elope instead?

"Fifth times the charm."

Reed let out a tired sigh, completely against the idea after what's happened over the last four attempts. There HAD to be another way. "No," He admitted, shaking his head. But after a second of careful thought, a chuckle fell from his lips, an idea creeping up on him. "But ... I have a better idea."

...

In a Japanese garden, a few days later and a few hours away from where the last fight had occurred – the Fantastic Five were all together, ready to finally watch as Reed and Sue tied the knot. In the background, traditional Japanese music instruments played a light wedding song – Reed and Sue were going to be married, away from all the prying cameras and reporters as decided.