Gabriel

Fifth Grade

Mrs. Winters picked us up from the school like she did every day on a rainy Tuesday. The day had been enjoyable. The kids in my class didn't do anything to hurt my feelings and both Noah and I did great on our quiz. Even Momma had left me alone the night before, leaving shortly after Mrs. Winters dropped me off to go on a date with Carl. Noah and I planned on watching a movie after we finished our homework. I watched the raindrops on the window as we drove, feeling content for the first time in a while.

Noah talked on and on about the game we had played in P.E. He had been the team captain because he was the quickest and most athletic in our class. The fact that he was popular didn't hurt, either.

"You know Edith, I think we make a great team. You're fast and we don't even have to communicate, I just know what you're thinking."

I rolled my eyes. Of course, Noah picked me first for his team, causing a few groans from the rest of the class. However, I think I showed them that I was good for the team because I made a couple good plays. We ended up winning the game. I didn't get any pats on the back or anything, but I also didn't get my clothes stolen from me in the locker room. I didn't even have to use the extra pair I always packed in my backpack.

Mrs. Winters was on the phone with Ezekiel. After graduating two years ago, he and Jenna moved to New York to attend school together. He often called around the end of school to talk to his mom and brothers. It was Noah's job to tell Ezekiel how I was and Zeke always made sure to say a few words to me even if they weren't answered. He promised to come down for the summer in a few weeks and we were all extremely excited to see him.

The good day seemed to fly out the window when we saw Isaiah. He held a napkin to his nose stained with blood. His shirt caught blood droplets the napkin couldn't contain. Joseph stood beside him awkwardly, seemingly unaware of how to help his brother.

Mrs. Winters gasped at the sight of her son, "Good heavens, Ezekiel! I have to go. Your brother is bleeding."

After saying goodbye to Zeke, she parked the car and jumped out to help Isaiah with his backpack. Once Isaiah was situated beside Noah in the backseat and Joseph took his spot in the far back, Mrs. Winters asked what happened.

With a side glance in my direction, Isaiah said, "Gabriel Morrison is stupid and needed to learn a lesson." My breath caught in my throat at the sound of my brother's name. I dreaded hearing Isaiah's bloody nose was my brother's fault.

"Isaiah, what did you do?" Mrs. Winters sounded more stern than I had ever heard. The temperature in the car seemed to drop. She hadn't driven anywhere and was looking at her son with a glare.

"Well, Gabriel was laughing about how funny it was that his mom beat his sister's bottom because she didn't clean up after him. I went up to him and told him that wasn't funny and he needed to shut his mouth. He threw a punch at me. So, I sorta kinda punched him seven or eight times."

"Isaiah Michael Winters! You could have been expelled! Where were the teachers? Why didn't you get in trouble?"

"It was after school and Gabriel couldn't have done anything because he hit me first. I told him if he ever talked bad about Eden again, I'd cave his face in." Isaiah looked proud of what he did. I could see Mrs. Winters trying very hard to keep a tiny smile of pride off of her face.

"Well as long as you weren't in trouble, I'll say this. Punching is not something you need to make a habit doing. However, you did it for honorable reasons and defended Eden. For that, I'm sure we all will thank you. Just know this, you get in trouble and you'll be grounded for a month. Do you hear me, young man?"

"Yes, ma'am. It's just that nobody messes with my family."

It warmed me up to be considered family to Isaiah, but my head kept swirling at the thought that he had been hurt because of me. I couldn't help but feel responsible for his pain. When we got to the house, I ran inside to get the ice pack reserved for me out of the freezer. I wrapped it in a washcloth and handed it to Isaiah as he walked through the door. He smiled and thanked me and, despite my fear, I gave him a quick hug. He looked stunned but hugged me back.

It shouldn't have been hard to feel the love of this family. They had never given me a reason to not trust them, to feel fear when they reached for me. I reasoned that it shouldn't have been hard to feel the love of my own mother, but I'd never received that. I'd always feel pain when it came to her, I'd always view her hand reaching for me as dangerous.

I followed Mrs. Winters as she brought Isaiah to the bathroom, wetting another washcloth and wiping at his nose. He held his head back and pinched the bridge of his nose. It didn't look broken and he didn't look to be in too much pain. I felt good knowing that he was fine, or would be.

I feared what Gabriel would say to Momma. I knew that he would twist the story and make it look as bad as it could possibly be. I knew that whatever damage was done to him would be inflicted upon me as revenge. I could handle the pain. My biggest worry was that Momma wouldn't allow me to see the Winters anymore. The Winters made me happy. They were my solace from the hell that was my home life. I could not get that taken from me. I feared what Momma would do if I was always home, always under her feet.

I had learned to love everything about the Winters. I loved the way Mrs. Winters lovingly admonished her sons for making a mess. I loved how Mr. Winters always came home from work with a hug ready. I loved how we called Ezekiel and he always wanted to know how I was doing, how Joseph had the kindest heart and would paint pictures for me in art class. I loved how protective Isaiah was. But mostly, I loved Noah, my best friend, the one who knew me best.

I fidgeted all afternoon, awaiting the punishment Momma would surely give me. When Mrs. Winters dropped me off, I waved goodbye but took slow steps up to the door, glancing back to get a few more looks at her, knowing it may be the last time. 

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote!