Pain

"I don't know why you insist on struggling. We all know how this is going to end," the large stranger said, his fingers bruising my wrists. I was desperately trying to get out of the big man's grasp as he tied my hands in a bind to the ceiling.

The twins had spent the night beating me repeatedly, waiting for me to wake up each time I passed out to start again. When it took too long for me to open my eyes, they'd pour a bucket of water on me, eager to do as much damage as they could. I had never been more aware of every part of my body, dying for a break, radiating pain. I didn't know how close I was to death, but I hoped it came soon.

When I woke up after being kicked in the temple, I was terrified to find the twins and the big man with their weapons, grinning like they'd gone mad. I didn't know what I expected when I called Noah, or why I hadn't called the police instead. I knew he wouldn't be able to get to me by the time the twins did, but I had to call at least to let them know I was still alive, for as long as that lasted.

It was taking them too long to find me. I could see the digital clock on the desk across the room that read 4:37 in bright red, blinding numbers. I had been away from home for twelve hours. I didn't know how far away I was from home, but I needed someone to come find me if I had any chance of surviving.

My head pulsated, the slightest noise or flash of light caused me to wince. It felt like my wrists were broken, my whole body weight hanging from them. I could feel blood dripping from my body, a result of a few lashes from the whip that bit too hard, countless bruised bones, and the impending promise of dehydration. My body begged for relief. I didn't know how much more I could take, but I knew that the twins were far from done with me.

Some beatings, my siblings would switch out their weapon of choice, opting to beat me in different ways. I couldn't cry anymore, I'd had too much. I felt my body twitching and throbbing with pain.

"You'd think the police would be here by now." Gabriella sat perched on the edge of the couch across the room watching the two men taunt me. She looked bored as if she was depressed that no one had come to save me yet. "At least the kid would have come to her rescue by now."

I didn't want Noah to come after me. I had no doubt he could hold his own, but three against one wasn't fair, and with the weapons they had? I didn't want him in danger. The big man stood still, looking at my sister in horror like he was just realizing he might actually get in trouble for beating the crap out of me. "You mean, you two want to be caught by the police? What the fuck is wrong with you? I'm getting out of here before the police come!"

Gabriel smiled and informed, "It's only classified as assault for now. I feel the damage we've done to this bitch is well worth a bit of jail time. We might even get to see our mom. I mean, if you wanna leave, go right ahead, but good luck getting any money from us."

"The deal was, I beat the girl up and get my money. You think I'd just kidnap a person and beat her up for nothing? I've got to get out of here! Give me my fucking money." The big man's face was an unpleasant cherry red.

The twins chuckled, looking at each other with matching hideous grins on their faces. "We're terribly sorry, but we don't have the money with us," Gabriel replied. "We don't like to have that much cash on us at one time. We figured we'd just give it to you at another time. We never did agree on a time and a place to give it to you, did we?" Gabriel's voice took on an evil tone. I wanted to bet the twins didn't have any money for the guy in the first place.

I could almost feel the anger radiating off the man's body. He opened and closed his mouth as if grasping for words, looking like a fish out of the water. His face turned an even darker color.

I wasn't prepared when he whipped around, lifted his leg, and kicked me right in the stomach with an angry yell. He was big. His foot covered the entirety of my belly. I felt what could only be described as a popping in my lower body. Instantly, pain beamed throughout my body. I screamed, unable to curl into myself because of my upright position. I could barely bring a breath to my lungs, my obviously cracked ribs ached with unbearable pain.

"I'll be waiting for you when you're out of prison, you fuckers. I better get my goddamn money," he screamed at my siblings. They grinned even wider, bringing their hands up in a wave.

They looked insane, too happy at the idea of going to jail. The man huffed and ran out of the house. I could hear the van start and peel out on the rocky road. The twins sat next to each other on the couch and stared at me. I couldn't imagine what I looked like. My entire body felt bruised and my clothes were torn. I could see my arms and they looked suspiciously like ground beef.

I couldn't breathe. Something was terribly wrong in my abdomen. I wanted to sleep, my body felt like it was trying to give up.

❃❃❃

I know I zoned out, my body went completely numb, a feeling I welcomed and didn't take time to worry about.

After what felt like hours, I could hear the sound of a door opening and a whole lot of yelling outside of the building we were in. I saw my brother and sister clapping, excited for what was to come. When the cabin door opened, I saw multiple people dressed in blue outfits charge into the room, guns poised and ready. My brother and sister threw their hands up in mock surrender. Before long, the twins were being handcuffed.

Gabriel looked at me and yelled, "We'll be back." They were guided from the room without another word. Two policemen walked to me, waving their hands in front of my face. I was seeing and hearing everything, but I couldn't seem to understand what was happening.

I heard words like shock and trauma. My restraint on my hands was untied and I was gently rested in somebody's arms. Blue and red lights circled around me and I was laid down on a stretcher and wrapped in a blanket. An older woman with impossibly kind eyes knelt in front of me trying to talk to me, but I could only see her mouth moving. I stared into her eyes.

I was hyperventilating, trying to bring breath into my lungs constricted by my ribs. The nice lady put a mask over my face and I sucked in air like I was starved. I felt a prick in my arm, but couldn't seem to care about what it was. I was aware of being in an ambulance, the sirens blared angrily and paramedics working on me urgently.

I tried to stay up because I needed to see where the twins were, but my eyelids felt like bricks. I finally fell asleep from exhaustion and pain when the kind lady wrapped another blanket around my slightly raised feet.

Please vote and comment!