I'm Awake

I knew Noah was showering and cursed my body when I felt the fog clearing up. I was aware that Noah hadn't moved since Thursday. Trust the moment he finally gets up to be when I wake up. My eyes opened and I found Papa and Isaiah sitting beside my bed. They looked a little worse for wear, but better than Noah did, that's for sure. They smiled at me warily, knowing each time I woke up, I needed pain medication desperately.

This time I wasn't in immense pain. I knew that the nurse came and gave me morphine not long ago. I shakily smile back at them and they sighed as if avoiding a bullet.

"Mini, sweetheart, I'm so glad you're up! Can we get you anything? Noah will be right back," Papa ensured. The man that looked so much like his sons fluffed my pillows behind my head and worried over me. "That boy hasn't left your side for three days now, I'm glad he went to shower before you got up. He was starting to smell a little like a dead man."

I giggled and promptly groaned, pulling the sore organ in my abdomen. Papa looked guilty for my pain. I'd sort of pieced together from the hushed whispers while unconscious that I had been given surgery on my ruptured liver because of broken ribs. Each movement hurt like crap. Even my breathing was labored slightly.

We sat and I listened to my foster father and brothers for twenty minutes before Noah walked in, wearing a fresh pair of clothes and towel drying his hair with his hands. When he looked up, he dropped his arms and his handsome face melted into an adorable frown.

"Edith," he pouted. "I'm very happy you're awake, but couldn't you have waited until I was here? I wanted to be there for you. I've missed you!"

Isaiah got up out of the chair that had become Noah's spot for the past few days and Noah settled back in, grabbing my hand and fussing over my pillows and blankets. "Can I get you anything? Are you thirsty? In pain? Cold?"

I stared into his eyes not really processing what he was saying. He looked so handsome and grown up. His hair was still wet and stuck to his forehead in little tufts and he had more than a little bit of facial hair growing out on his jaw from neglecting his grooming habits.

Isaiah huffed and grumbled something about him not getting attention when Noah was in the room. I heard Papa whack him in the arm. He was on the phone with his wife and telling her I was awake. He hung up and announced that she and the rest of the family were on their way up. I was excited to see them, now that my pain had subsided a little and I could stand to be awake.

Noah couldn't take his eyes off me like he was afraid I'd disappear if he did.

When the rest of the family came in, I was overwhelmed by the amount of love that filled the room. Ezekiel and Jenna walked in with a huge teal balloon that said "Get Well Soon" in pink. Isaiah had given me a teddy bear a few days prior and placed it in the crook of my arm. Momma was holding a bouquet of daisies almost bigger than her torso. Gigi and Noah's grandpa walked in behind her with a basket full of my favorite snacks. Each came and kissed my head gently. I was mortified because I desperately needed a shower.

All of us sat in the room around my bed and my family talked for hours. It was exhausting because I hadn't been awake in so long and my body was having a difficult time adjusting, but I couldn't complain because I loved being in a group of people that loved me. Every few minutes someone would ask if I needed anything. I didn't answer until I decided I was thirsty.

I looked at Noah, who was speaking to his Pawpaw about football. I realized with a great amount of guilt that Noah had missed his football game. Noah was extremely skilled at what he did. He loved his sport and spent every week preparing for the upcoming game incessantly. Missing a game for me was extremely flattering.