O K A Y

Previously...

She was still driving, so she did the only thing she could think of, "Is someone back there?"

There was no answer at first, then a whispered, "Yes." Lilly could tell it was a man's voice, for it was far too low to be a woman's.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

" O k a y . U m , a r e you planning on hurting me in any way?" Lilly asked, her eyes were focused on the road ahead of her, but mind was very much on the person in the back.

The voice was much quicker this time and held a note of certainty. "No." Lilly let out a sigh of relief, trusting the man's word. "I'm sorry for being a stowaway," the man said. "I hadn't planned to fall asleep." Lilly couldn't see the man, but knew he was embarrassed by his actions.

"I understand the need to sleep," she giggled to herself. "Is there somewhere you need me to drop you off?"

Al didn't know what to say to the beautiful woman driving. He didn't really have anywhere to go, and she was conversing with him like he wasn't some disease infesting the world by living, which was a nice change. She appeared to be a few years younger than him, and tired.

Al heard her little pep talk before driving, it was what woke him, and he was too scared to leave or speak then. So, he remained silently terrified of what was to come. 

A guy, Al knows on the streets, had mentioned when it's cold, like it was tonight, he likes to sneak into the cars and take a little nap. So, Al tried it out. He saw an old Accura in massive need of a paint job before it starts rusting, surrounded by a sea of brand new high-end cars, and decided it would be the easiest to get into without tripping an alarm. His body chilled to the bone, and he was desperate for some warmth. He walked over to the car and began testing the doors, all were locked, so he tried under the car for a spare, and low and behold he found a hide a key tucked under the passenger side door. Taking the key out he slipped it into the door turned, the doors opened automatically. His heart sang at the knowledge warmth was just a second away. The car wasn't too dirty with a few discarded fast food wrappers and uniforms hung in the back. Al didn't wait long before huddling into the backseat and locking the doors. After a minute of sitting, his head began to slump and sleep took him.

"I-I don't really--," Al began, ashamed at the reality of his situation. He was homeless and had been for the past seven months. He didn't want this beautiful woman to know. As silly as that sounds. He knows she would kick him out; back on the street. But in the back of his mind he knows he deserves it. "Know where we are?" Al corrected.

"Oh," the woman sounded surprised. "We are out of downtown and heading towards Hilltop, a town not too far away. Do you live around there?"

Al only knows street names of downtown, he doesn't know the outside towns, having not been from around here originally. 

"Um, that's where I live too," he lied.

"Really?" Lilly questioned, afraid the man was just saying that, so she wouldn't drive him somewhere out of the way. She heard a 'yes' in the back, so shrugged. "We'll be there soon, then. I'm Lilly, by the way."

Lilly, Al thought with a smile, what a perfect name. "Al," was all he said, answering her lingering question.

Al, that sounds wholesome, Lilly thought, trying to put together a picture of the mystery man. So far she imagined a man with blonde hair, blue eyes, in a suit and tie, and dimples when he smiled. She laughed at her foolish game.

"What?"

"Oh, nothing at all, sorry."

They both went back to silence with only the radio providing a silent hum of noise. Lilly felt her eyes begin to droop, taking longer to blink, than usual. "Lilly!" Al shouted at her, as the car began to slowly swerve into the other lane.

"Sorry, sorry. I'm up." Her heart was racing fast from the thought of injuring the people around her, and her new passenger.

"How about we talk to keep you up?" Al suggested.

"Yeah, okay."

Al wanted to stay away from any questions he would be uncomfortable with answering himself, so he asked. "What is your favorite animal?"

She giggled at the question. "Dogs."

"Why?"

"They are loyal, lovable, and have their own personalities. Plus, they are wonderful listeners." Lilly replied thinking of her little boxer, who had been with her through all the bad that had happened in the last three years. Between the car accident and moving back, things have been rough. "You?"

"I think dogs are pretty perfect animals, as well." Al smiled thinking of all the loyal dogs, who sat beside their owners on street conners and ally ways, even when they had no food to give. "Where did you grow up?"

"Here. I've lived here all my life. You?"

"Montana. I moved here about eight months ago."

"Welcome to Arizona! Did you make the move by choice or for work?"

"For work."

"What do you do?"

"Army. I was apart of the seventh division before I was released."

"May I ask why?" Al didn't really like where these questions were heading, but it was keeping her up.

"My division was in charge of sweeps over in Iraq. Making sure the coast was clear before others came," as Al was talking he began to get sucked into that day. The blasted heat heavy on his neck. Davis, his leader, and best friend pointing to a building that appeared unoccupied.

He wanted me to inspect it. Taking my AK-47, I walked over. That's when the shouts began. It was an ambush. I turned in time to see Davis falling to his knees, blood spreading on his right leg. It was a flesh wound. He would survive it. Up top, someone spotted me and took aim, but being one of the best snippers, I was quick with my weapon, bringing the man down. To my left, Austin was limbing, but running to Davis. I continued to be on the look out. I could hear Chris calling in for a ride out of here, but we all knew it would take too long. Grabbing Davis, and throwing his heavy ass body onto my back, I began running with Austin and Chris flanking me shooting anyone they spotted.

"These fucking bastards," Austin, grunted. They must have poor aim, for I hear Chris grunt in pain, and Davis yell, "Flesh wound." We make it to the truck and see John is dead in the driver's seat. "Fucking assholes," Chris screams, moving John over and taking the wheel. I put Davis down and he hobbles into the back with Austin. Chris drives fast, getting us quickly out of the line of fire, while I inspect his arm. Davis was right a flesh wound. He'll be fine. We will all be fine. We left the town. We are safe.

I hear Austin laughing in the back, "That's one ginger they can't have," referring to his hair color. "Would they want it," Davis said, causing us all to laugh. Chris was laughing, but I could see the tears fighting to break free as he glances at John leaning on my shoulder. "We'll make sure he goes home," I told Chris. He looked at me and smiled with a firm nod. Chris was the youngest of us at nineteen. Then we hit it. A bomb was hidden by the massive amounts of sand. The truck flipped. When I woke in the hospital a month later to find everyone was dead.

Al stopped talking lost in thought. "Hey, you don't have to tell me. I'm sorry. It must have been hard," Lilly tired to bring him back to their conversation.

"It's fine," Al said, but his voice was heavy.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

To be continued...

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Hey fellow bookworms!

I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little more about Al. Heads up, I don't have much military knowledge, so if something sounds off that's why, and I apologize.  Thank you so much for your support! Feel free to comment below, and be sure to vote. This story is updated every Monday.

Thanks again!