S P A R R O W

P r e v i o u s l y . . .

"Joey, did your friends have a nice trip?" A woman called from somewhere in the house, her voice seemed distant.

"You didn't tell her?" Al asked, his voice holding irritation and just a hint of fear.

Joey gave, Al a cheeky smile, "I wanted you to be a surprise for her, and her for you. Merry Christmas, bro!" He said to Al, before calling, "Yes, they had an excellent trip, come say hi!"

"I'm a mess. I've been cooking all day. You didn't not cut enough onions, I swear," Maria spoke, her accent was more prominent and Lilly her heard muttering in Italian as she drew near.

Al could tell by the sound of her feet hitting the wood floor that she was almost to them. When she stepped into the living room her, head was down, while she wiped her hands off on her apron that was perfectly tied in place. Then, she looked up and her eyes landed on her son. "Alessandro," she cried.

+ + + + + + + + + + +

"Mama," Al stuttered, unknowingly walking towards the small woman, standing half his size. Her black hair is sprinkled with grays, and her face holds the evidence of a life filled with memories. Tears pricked at Al's eyes as he tried to hold back all the nights he missed her, and the times he just wanted to call her and hear her steady voice tell him it was alright. She doesn't turn away from him as he kneeled in front of her.

Lilly watched as Maria took Al into her arms, cradling his head and shoulders, as they both cried. 

"Aw, mio passerotto, shh," she cooed as she held Al. Maria hadn't seen her son in over three years, and there were times she began to believe her oldest was lost forever. Her little sparrow. But here he is in her arms, and he is crying as he use to when was a young child. She had never seen the man cry only the boy. He had missed her as much as she missed him. "Mai più," she added when they both were calming. Alessandro chuckled, shielding his eyes from Maria, in attempts to rid his eyes of the tears.

"I'm sorry, mama," Al finally spoke the words that have been on his mind since he got back from the war. 

"It's okay. I love you, mio figlio prediletto," she added, holding his face, and kissing his forehead.

"Hey!" Joey called then, and Lilly was shocked by the outburst. "What about me?"

Maria's eyes locked on him, "Oh shut it, you kept this from me," she laughed pulling Al up from his knees. "And, who is this?" Maria asked looking at the woman with red eyes, and wet cheeks, clinging to a dog. 

"Mama, this is Lilly, Cuore mio," Al stated, looking Lilly in the eyes with an unwavering certainty. Lilly didn't know what he had said about her, but she saw the way Maria's face changed. It held a knowing look that made her suddenly nervous, and she quickly wiped her face of tears, while holding her right hand out to Maria.

"It's nice to finally meet you," she smiled, but Maria, ignored Lilly's hand, and like Joey wrapped her into a hug.

"You brought my son to me. Grazie. Now, come. We eat."

Maria had cooked an old family recipe that had Lilly's mouth watering and Al glowing with happiness, for being home. After they ate and talked. Everyone somehow ended up in the living room. Joey was playing some game with Al them both were sprawled across the floor, while Lilly and Maria talked more. Maria wanted to know everything about Lilly. Maria just knew there was something different about this girl. Al had a few girlfriends in the past, but nothing like this. Al looked at her with such care, and she noticed the way he would touch the small of her back, or whisper the translations in English to her. Not to mention how he introduced Lilly to her. Maria had a strong feeling there was more to their visit than just catching up, but she also knew there was no mountain she wouldn't climb or ocean she wouldn't cross to ensure her boy is where he is meant to be. 

"You said you are going to school?" Maria asked. 

Lilly nodded, "Yes, that's right to become a teacher."

"Are you almost done?" she continued. 

"I've got a few more years before I'm done, but I getting there. I changed my major two years ago from law." Lilly answered honestly, wanting Maria to really like her, and know her. She was nervous about where their conversation was heading, however. She didn't want to become a bubbling mess in front of such a strong woman, and after Maria had been reconnected with her son. Lilly didn't want Maria to see her as a mental patient, Al brought to their home. 

Joey nudged Al after their game had completed, and nodded at the garage door. "Hey, we'll be right back, " Joey announced, pulling Al to go with him. 

Al silently followed Joey as he opened the door for him, and there sitting in the middle of the garage was the 1952 Cadillac Coupe Deville Joey and Al had worked on together, for nine summers. They had found it in the junk yards getting ready to be smashed into a small box when they bargained to take it off the man's hand for a mere five hundred. But they could never get it to run, so it sits the garage collecting dust. "So it continues to sleep," Al commented.

"Aw, so you think," Joey smiled, running to the side and turning the key, suddenly the sweet sound of an engine roared to life. Al's  eyes and mouth widened on their own accord.

"You did it," he called, running over to his brother, "scoot over!" Al insisted not waiting for Joey to move, and just sat down behind the wheel. "She sounds nice," Al commented.

Joey scratched his neck, "I worked on her every day when you left." Al stopped smiling, and turned off the engine."Look, I'm sorry, Joey. I know I messed up, but I wasn't in a good place when I came back. I saw things and did things I'm not proud of. I didn't want you or mama to see me like that," Al said, looking down. 

"Dude, you've always done that," Joey commented.

"What?" Al asked, fixing his gaze on his younger brother.

"Take everything to heart. You never knew how to separate anything. No one asked you to go to war, you know," Joey added.

Al listened to what he said and he was right. "I know, but I had too. You don't understand, Joey. For me, I needed to go. I'm better now. I've come back. I'm no longer the shell of a person I was. I can breathe again. I wasn't like this two years ago. I was broken. The war broke me, Joey," Al whispered the last part, running his hands down his face.

"And the girl?" He said.

"She brought me back. She's my Angel," Al smiled.

"Well, damn. I was ready to chew your ass out for just leaving me, and don't think I still won't. That was selfish, and that's coming from me. But I do, I get it. I met someone too, in case you were wondering," Joey stated.

Al punched his brother in the arm, "Of course I want to know. Tell me, who's the beauty that finally tamed- wait what did you call yourself, piacione? "

Joey laughed, "Her name is Hannah. She works at the restaurant, and she will be coming over for Christmas Eve on Saturday, so you can meet her then."

"Wait. Hannah as in Hannah McNutt?" Al questioned suspiciously. "The girl you've had a crush on since you were ten?"

Joey just nodded and smirked. 

"How in the hell did you manage that?" Al laughed.

"I wore her down," Joey stated. "After years of asking she finally said yes."

"I'm happy for you, fratello." Al patted Joey on the back, and after a few minutes asked. "Did you get what I asked for."

"Yay, I got it," Joey, chuckled, reaching behind the seat for the box. Al pocketed the box as the two went back into the house. 

+ + + + + + + + + + +

T o   b e   c o n t i n u e d .  .   .