S C A R E

P r e v i o u s l y . . . 

Lilly suddenly wakes up to the relaxed face of Al. "Good morning. You're at work," he whispers softly. Lilly slowly lifts her head from the seat and sure enough they are in the parking garage. Another day, Lilly thought to herself, but she didn't miss the way her eyes drifted towards Al, contently getting out of the driver's seat and collecting their breakfast. 

+ + + + + + + + + + + 

After the two ate breakfast together in Lilly's security booth, Al walked over to VONS to sign a few papers, and get his resume in order. He was handed a badge, which truly impressed him seeing as he only talked to them yesterday, and was just put on the schedule to work today after the four o'clock shift with Lilly.

"Hey Al," Jerry called to him when he was about to be ushered into a room, for a training video.

"Hey," he replied, giving the man a friendly wave.

"So, I see you got the job," Jerry joked, knowing full well Al was going to get the job when he talked to him.

"Yeah," Al said, trying to curve his enthusiasm. He was after all just a stock boy, and he didn't want to eager to put cans on the shelves. Although, he was simply excited to be helping, and doing something productive.

"Well welcome aboard!" Jerry chuckled, meaning Al didn't do a very good job. But Al didn't shy away from the amusement on Jerry's face.

"Thanks," Al smiled, looking over at the man, Kyle, that was guiding him through the training. "But I have to go."

"Yea, get out of here and learn about the dangers of the stock life," he replied. Al left Jerry and walked into the room, where an old VHS player sat connected to a run down television. Al was alone, beside Kyle.

"Okay, so you are just to sit here and watch the video. As soon as it is over, type this pin," he instructed, handing me a post-it, before continuing, "into the machine beside the door to the right, and you may leave. We will see you later for your shift." Then, he left and Al was left to sit through a cheesy 80's film about being a stock film for an hour. Before he finally got to leave.

It has been two hours since Al left, and Lilly is leaning back in her seat watching the monitors, and chewing her, now, flavorless gum. When she saw something fishy on the screen. She grabbed her phone, flashlight and keys before exciting. As she was walking towards the place she spotted the person, she began to think. Why did I come out? I should have just called the cops right then. But the worse she has ever dealt with was teenagers spoking pot, homeless sleeping around, or drunks trying to pee by the cars. I'll be fine. Besides I have my phone if all else fails.

She got closer, and saw a man lugging a huge bag. The man was rather big compared to Lilly, but she had a job to do, and she was not going to be intimidated. "Excuse me sir?" she asked, keeping her voice firm and authoritative.

"Yes," the man smiled easily. He adds nice green eyes, and shaggy blonde hair.

"May I ask where you are going with that," she asked, pointing to the bag.

The man looked down at the hockey bag, quizzically. "This is just my dirty laundry," the man stated calmly. That makes sense. But then she recalled this is a business-parking garage. No one would do personal laundry, and the nearest laundry matte is four blocks down. People usually park on G Street. A tingling feeling began to make way in Lilly's stomach. Why would the man lie to me?

"Oh, of course. Well, did you bring enough quarters for all that?" She asked, trying to hide the bit of fear.

"Yep," he replied, before getting ready to turn.

"Right, well have a nice day," she waved, heading back to her post, so she could call the cops safely, but then she thought I have my phone! She dialed the number without looking.

And heard the operator, "911, what is your emergency?"

"I'm a security guard at a parking garage for Sherman Co. Law, and witnessed some suspicious activity."

"What do you mean by suspicious?" The Dispatcher asked.

"A man lugging a rather large bag. He claimed it was laundry, but that makes no sense for a law agency," I state.

"Thank you. Can I get your name?"

"Lilly James," Lilly answers, entering her posts, and finally breathing a sigh of relief.

"We will send patrol to your location," the dispatcher states before, asking if she needs anything else. Lilly begins to silently panic in her little box. What if he's a shooter, or a terrorist? Then, a tapping sound chimes on the glass in front of her, and she screams.

Al took quick evaluation of Lilly; her pale, calmly face, fast breathing. He needed to get in there and help her, but the door was locked. It won't help anyone to break the glass in, he decided. So he gently tapped to the door to get her attention, and she gives out a blood-curdling scream. "Crap," she mutters after, holding a hand over her chest, before opening the door. "I thought you were someone else," she admits.

Al took in account what she said. "Who would scare you that bad?" He asked, becoming alert.

"There was a guy not too long ago, but I called the cops, so they'll take care of it," she informed him, righting herself.

Al was conflicted. A part of him wanted to go check out the situation for himself, believing he was missing more of the story, but Lilly seemed to be dismissing it. Maybe she was scared, and didn't want to think about it, he thought. However that only made him wants to go more. Ugh!

"How was VONS?" Lilly asked, seeing the scrunching in Al's brow. She wanted to rid his face of the frustration. It made her feel uneasy knowing his background in the military. What if he tried to take the guy down himself? What if the guy was dangerous? Lilly didn't want to think about what could happen, so she thought it's best to distract him.

"I'm on the work schedule. You and I have the same shift at four. When do you have to be at school?" Al asked, trying to stop thinking about it.

"Eleven, so in an hour and a half," Lilly said. "Al," she called, looking at him straight on. His eyes had been glancing anywhere, but at her.

Al nodded, before he realized she was calling for him, so he switched off autopilot. "Yeah," he said, meeting her gaze.

"Stop. The cops are coming to handle it, and, honestly, I don't think it was anything to be worried about. Everything is fine. Now, I'm hungry and my shift is just about over, so where would you like to get some food?" she stated slowly, so he followed her.

Al let out a deep sigh before, "Okay, but I would feel a lot better. If I could just walk up there and check it out," he reasoned. "I won't do anything, just check it out," he continued.

Lilly had been chewing the inside of her cheek, while he was talking and tasted the metallic blood. She looked into his eyes, and saw the need in his face, before she even realized what she was doing. Lilly was nodding. "Let's go check it out."

I wanted to go, but not with Lilly! What if something happened to her? I would have gotten my angel into danger. "You're coming?" he asked. Silently praying she would say no, but that's not his Lilly. She simply nodded her head, grabbed her flashlight, keys and phone, before taking his hand, and pulling him out the glass box, she called an office.

"My shifts, over now anyway. Let's check it out, and then get some food before my class," she smiled as though they were talking about taking a walk to the park instead of a possible threat. Al didn't miss the fact that Lilly's hand was securely in his. In fact, he liked the feeling, and even gave her hand a nice squeeze.

"Alright. Let's go," Al stated. She will not get hurt.  Together hand in hand they walked out of the parking garage and into the building. 

+ + + + + + + + + + + 

To be continued . . .