W O R K

P r e v i o u s l y . . . 
Al hadn't received a compliment regarding his looks since his friends use to joke about him being a stud. He was surprised by how much he liked hearing Lilly liked how he looked. "Thanks." Then he looked at her hair, which is placed into a high pony tail, making it easy to see her soft face, and easy eyes that hold a kindness. "You look beautiful," he finally stated, before getting an overwhelming feeling of wanting to hit his head against the car door.

"You don't have to return the compliment, I know my black dickies, grey polo, and shiny black shoes have me looking like a goddess," she remarked, laughing. Al ended up laughing with her. He wasn't going to tell her that he was referring to her not her clothes although she did look cute in them.

Eventually the two made it to the parking structure downtown that Lilly guarded. She parked the car and they walked to her booth, where they ate the breakfast Al made. It was a change from her lonely routine and she liked it.

+ + + + + + + + + +

How is it possible for someone's life to change so instantly, so purely, Lilly thought as she watched Al leave her booth. He's going to try to get a job today, downtown, so they can carpool together. Lilly's shift at the parking structure still has another few hours, so she told him to go. It's eight now, and a lot of good places are already open. They are going to meet at Fletcher Mall, close to everything downtown, at ten, giving him plenty of time to hit up so local shops, and her enough of time to buy him some necessaries. She was also hoping to convince him to allow her to buy him some nice clothes that fit him properly.

Lucky for her, it's just security duty today because it's Sunday. 

Al slowly walked away from Lilly with a full stomach, and an ache in his jaw from smiling so much. He agreed on the meet time and place, knowing it well from it being one of the spots he stayed digging through dumpsters praying for descent scrapes. He shook his head trying to clear his mind from the man he use to be. I don't have a resume, he realized has he arrived at the first ma and pa shop called, El Cine. He was greeted by a teenager, looking up from a magazine. "Welcome to El Cine, let me know if you need help with anything," he stated the rehearsed line, before going back to whatever story he was reading. 

"Actually there is something," Al spoke up, walking over to the boy. "Is there a manager in, or someone I can talk to about a possible position."

The kid sighed, "Ma!"

"What!" A woman's voice carried over to the kid, before a tiny woman appeared, "Oh, hello," she greeted Al. "May I help you with something?"

"I was just wondering if you were hiring?" Al asked, allowing some of his hope into his voice.

The woman gave him a sad smile. "I'm sorry. We aren't at the moment."

"Well, thank you for your time," Al smiled, before leaving the store for the next. He followed that same pattern at least fifteen more times, before he looked at the clock and saw the time. I'm suppose to meet Lilly in thirty minutes, and I don't even have a potential job, Al thought, getting worried. He doesn't want to be viewed as a failure in Lilly's eyes. He visited seven more places on his way to the mall, his last place being a Vons. He had stood outside of a few times. As he walked into the store for the first time. He grew suddenly worried that the people looking at him could tell he didn't belong. That he was suppose to be outside by the curb holding a cardboard sign. He fought back against the fear, but couldn't help the sinking feeling. However, he forced his feet to carry him to the information desk. "Excuse me," Al called to the middle aged man to get his attention.

"How may I help you?" The man asked with an over zealous smile. 

"I was curious if your were currently hiring," Al replied with less hope in his voice than the first time.

"We actually are looking for a stock boy. If you are interested. It's nothing too special, but it is a job." The man stated.

"I'm very interested," Al said eagerly.

"Well, alright. Fill out these forms here, bring in a resume, and government issued id sometime this week, and we will start your process. What's your name?"

"Al."

"Al? You got a last name?"

"Not one I like," Al stated, trying to divert the question.

The man chuckled, "I understand that. The names Jerry Dicks."

Al couldn't help the laugh that came out of his mouth, "Thanks, Jerry." Al took the forms Jerry handed him, and left with a new found confidence as he walked towards the Mall. Al was two feet away from the entrance of the mall when someone stopped him.

"Do you have any change to spare?" Al turned only to see Fred, but of course Fred didn't recognize him. Fred only saw another man in a suit, who would ignore his pleas. 

"Fred, it's me, Al," he tried, looking at the man. 

"Al? Really?" Al got closer to the man, so he could see him clearly. "Good heavens it is you! What the hell happened?" Fred exclaimed smiling. 

"I met someone," Al told him.

"One of the drug dealers? Al, don't tell me you sold your soul," Fred stated, getting worried.

"No no. Nothing like that. I met someone good, who took me in," Al spoke of Lilly like the angel she is. "And I got a job."

"Shit! Your a new man," Fred smiled. "Well, damn, I'm happy for you." Then, Fred did something Al hadn't been expecting, he hugged him. "You did it." Fred held back the tears he wanted to shed. "You got out." Al patted Fred's back. After a moment Fred released Al, and stepped back. "I'm sure you have important places you have to be. Go live your life," he smiled, before returning to his spot on the curb. 

"I'll see you around. Take care of yourself," Al stated, walking away. He didn't know a lot of people on the streets, but Fred was a good man. Al hated that he didn't have anything to give him.

As soon as he entered the mall, he spotted Lilly. 

+ + + + + + + + + +

To be continued...