Chapter One

Mabel could hear voices ahead, unsure how close they were as she continued her journey down the road. Her breaths were labored as she panted, dehydration slowly getting the best of her as she pushed forward in determination.
She could see two people in the distance, a man and a young boy, coming over the hill, and hadn't expected the large group that followed behind them. She quickened her pace, getting close enough to be noticed as the man leading the group stopped, holding his hand up as he stared at her, his expression one of confusion and horror.
"Who are you?" his voice called out, everyone's eyes wide as they looked at Mabel, and she scrunched her nose. She stepped closer to them, stopping only a few feet away as she spoke up, "M- Mabel Tyler." The man turned to look at his group and then back at her, "Rick Grimes. You alone?" She nodded her head with a mumbled 'yes' and he sighed, dragging a hand through his curly hair.
Everyone continued to look at her, and she awkwardly shifted from one foot to the other under their stare. "How many walkers have you killed?" Rick asked her after a moment passed, and she thought over his question. "About...a few dozen? I haven't really kept count...sorry," She responded looking at everyones' expressions. "And how many people have you killed?" Mabel gnawed on the inside of her cheek. "How many I've killed?"
"That's what I asked, yes." he said to her, and it seemed as though he was starting to get annoyed with the situation. She took a deep breath. "Four." She answered softly, and looked to his side as a man bearing a crossbow pushed his way to the front, his eyes going wide when he looked at her. "Why?" Rick continued, ignoring the guy, and she turned her eyes back to him. "Two were self defense, one an accident, and the last...because they wanted me to."
She paused before sharing the last part, and Rick seemed to be pleased with her answer, though he was still giving her a strange look. "You can come with us...if you want," he stated, and she nodded before looking at the other guy, who's gaze pierced through her.
Daryl looked at this new girl, taking in every feature as he compared it to her; apart from the eyes, they were identical. But how? That couldn't be possible. Rick looked back at the rest of the group, a few nodding their heads before he welcomed her completely. "Thank you," she said gratefully, her voice different as well. It's not her...not Beth.