Chapter Nine

Mabel wondered the streets of Alexandria, observing the people that passed by as she hummed softly to herself. They'd been here a few days now, three to be exact, and she still couldn't get over just how untouched this place was. She was coming up on the two houses the group shared, finding Daryl on the steps fixing a few arrows. With a small smile she headed up to him, finding herself nervous. "Hey," she greeted, and he glanced up at her briefly before grunting, going back to his work.
  She chewed at the inside of her cheek, an annoying habit her family used to get onto her for. "Anything I can help with?" Mabel asked, hoping for an actual answer this time, even if it was a 'no'. "I'm good." Daryl stated quickly, and she frowned in disappointment as she cleared her throat.
  "Well, um, I make good company. Or at least that's what I've been told." she laughed awkwardly, and he stopped what he was doing to fully look at her, his expression unreadable. "Why are ye so friendly?" he asked, the words coming at harsher than he had first intended, and he could tell he hurt her when she backed away slightly. He mentally slapped himself as he let a sigh escape his lips.
  "Fine. You can keep me company," he grumbled, and Mabel perked up happily as she sat on the step beside him. She watched as he fiddled with his arrows, finding it more interesting then she'd ever let on. "So do you like it here?" she questioned, and he shrugged. "I guess...but it's still t'soon." he replied gruffly, and she smiled at his response. Even though it was small, she would gladly take it.
  The sun was beginning to set above them, the streetlights flashing on, filling the town with a dim light. "I guess we should head inside soon. Carol is making us all dinner." Mabel stated softly, playing with her hands as he grunted. With a small sigh she pushed herself up, turning to head inside, and Daryl turned to watch as she closed the door behind her.
  He looked up at the sky, looking within himself for something that would explain why he felt the way he did. She wasn't his friend, but he was finding it harder to ignore her. With a grunt Daryl tossed an arrow into the grass, leaving it there as he entered the house.