Chapter Three

Liz swirled her straw. Eric, that was his name right? Eric, or whatever, was dragging out the conversation about his band again. Liz found it interesting on the first date, but now nothing about him seemed interesting. Why was she still going out with him then? It was actually rather simple.

The look on Kid's face every time Eric appeared at the door was enough for her to keep seeing him. Oh, the way those gold eyes lost control for a moment. Liz smiled as she continued to stare at her drink. Then when she came back, Kid's timid and almost frustrated look as he asked her how it went. The way Kid wanted to convince her to stay or try to make her forget about the next date.

She didn't know why it gave her such pleasure. It almost made her wish he'd do more. How would he win her back? Why did she care? Why was he really worried about her getting serious with someone?

Liz's smile faded. Was it because of the symmetry? Was it because she was like a sister to him and he was just keeping her safe? Was she just a friend? Did he think she couldn't protect herself?

How dare he?!

"That ass," Liz murmured.

Eric took hold of her hand. She looked up at him almost startled. She had half forgotten he was sitting across from her. Sometimes Kid was just take control of her mind.

"Thanks, Liz." Eric said smiling, "I mean I don't think I've ever had a girl so interested in my story that she actually gets mad for me."

Liz quickly gave a fake smile and nodded. That's when she saw something she must of subconsciously known. Eric smile resembled that of Kid. It wasn't nearly as special though.

XXXX

Soul looked at his video game in boredom. He and Black Star had played it enough times that it slowly lost the excitement when played alone. He looked over to his right. Maka was usually there reading a book complaining that his game was too loud, but never moved even when he didn't listen to turn the volume down. It was rather lonely without her.

As a cool guy, Soul, of course, couldn't confess that aloud. As he heard the door being unlocked, he turned to the T.V. as though he had never had that moment of loneliness. He was expecting and perhaps slightly hoping for Maka. However, it was Blair. She was okay when Maka wasn't around.

Blair and Maka were friends but Blair enjoyed teasing Maka and that didn't work out so good for Soul. It didn't matter that Blair started it or that she was the only one doing something perverted, Soul was the one who got the Maka Chop.

"Hey, Soul," Blair called out as she came inside, "Where is Maka?"

"She went out studying with Kid." Soul said nonchalantly.

Blair smiled mischievously, "Studying the art of romance?"

Soul let out a snicker, "Romance of what? Symmetry and books?"

Blair shrugged but suggestively said, "Maybe. Or maybe, she got tired of you not seeing her as the great girl she is and fell prey to that boy's amazing golden eyes."

"Please," Soul said pretending not to care and being super involved in his game, "Maka and him wouldn't even know what to do."

"Are you sure? Depending on what books Maka reads she might know." Blair opened the fridge getting bored with the conversation; such a pity no real reaction out of Soul.

"She reads textbooks." Soul replied, "Plus, why would she go with a guy like Kid when there are such cooler guys around her."

Blair shrugged and sighed a reply, "They'd be a good pair. They became friends so easily and you can see the blind confidence the two share for each other."

"Whatever," Soul answered bitterly, "She can date whoever she wants. Cool guys like me could care less."

Blair just started humming as she found fish. Leave it to Maka to already have lunch ready for her and by the looks of the empty plate in front of the teenage boy Maka hadn't forgotten about him either. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Man, what would it take for Blair to get a little excitement around here?