Chapter four

Kid patiently waited for Maka at the library. It was empty as usually. Most students didn't come here unless it was a punishment from Sid or an assignment for a class. This was the main reason Maka and Kid had chosen the library. It was also just in case they wanted to do some actual studying.

Liz and Patty, who were already eager to go home, only needing to hear the word library to leave him be. Black*Star didn't try to annoy him today about a fight much thanks to Tsubaki. All in all, no lie was needed to be alone with Maka. He didn't want anyone to find out, but he also didn't want to lie about where he was just in case Patty or Liz needed him for anything. He looked up at the ceiling and unintentionally began to think of Liz.

He imagined her dark blonde hair that reached her mid-back, her piercing dark blue eyes, and her slightly sun-kissed skin. He suddenly let out a soft smile with adoring eyes. Oh, how he wished he could run his fingers though her hair. How he craved for those blue eyes to look at him in love. He hungered for her lips to smile the way she did to that idiot boyfriend of hers.

Not only was she physically beautiful, but her personality is what had really gotten Kid hooked. It was the fact that the more she cared the more she yelled. Her dedication to protect and do what's best for her sister is probably what made her reliable. Even though there were some things she wouldn't do and was still a cunning mastermind who did her best to get away with things, he admired her. She was a tough and beautiful girl, but there was so much more to her than that.

"Sorry, am I late?" Maka asked as she walked to the table he was currently sitting at.

Kid looked at her surprised for a moment. He was so deep in thought he hadn't heard the door open or close as she came in.

"No," Kid replied, "I was early."

Maka looked relieved and smiled brightly at him. His eyes narrowed a little. He had noticed it before, but it was so slight that he was sure it had just been him over analyzing. Her smile didn't reach her eyes like it usually did. Her olive green eyes seemed duller.

"Did Soul give you a hard time?" Kid asked as Maka sat down across from him.

"No," Maka replied honestly, "He and Black Star had their bromance date set for today."

"Then what is it that's bothering you?" Kid inquired.

Maka looked at him in surprise. He was the first one to have noticed. At least she thought he was, truth be told, Soul had noticed long before Kid but decided to leave it alone; she'd come around to tell him anyways. Maka looked away from the questioning gold eyes.

"I…"She didn't understand why she couldn't respond.

Why was it so hard? Everyone already knew she hated her dad. Why would it be hard to accept that she had disowned him? Her mama had divorced him, so why couldn't Maka pretend that wasn't her father? She was snapped back into reality at the feel of Kid's hands touching her own.

"I'm sorry." Kid said meeting her eyes, "I understand. You don't have to tell me anything."

"Thank you." Maka replied sincerely.

Kid retreated his hands and waited. There was a heavy silence as Maka tried to recover her mind. She finally took a deep breath and smiled at him.

"Okay, let's get started!" Maka said happily.

Kid looked away from her making a sour face, "You don't have to tell me what's wrong, but please don't put on an insincere face. I'd much rather you be honest with your emotions."

Honest…it was a word that struck her hard. She looked at her hands. Her emotions were things she couldn't control, but she chose which to wear on her face.

"Listen, Maka, you can always close your eyes to things you don't want to see, but it's impossible to close or shut off your feelings." Kid said standing up.

Close her eyes to things she didn't want to see? What about the things she wanted to forget? What about those images that flooded her mind, the ones of her unfaithful papa? She stood up as well. She felt the tears in her eyes threaten to fall. She was about to run but hit Kid's chest instead.

He was almost a head taller than her.

"Patty always says this really silly poem that can be summarized to everyone needs a hug when they want to cry." Kid said as he awkwardly hugged Maka, "I know you'd probably prefer this be Soul and I'm going to be an awful replacement, but please accept my hug."

She wanted to apologize because they weren't there for her, but instead she cried. She fell to pieces and cursed and complained and yelled. Kid tried his best to comfort her, but he couldn't move because it'd break the symmetry he had formed. His hands were in the exact middle of her back, his head would tilt to be perfectly aligned with hers, and his feet were in the exact position as hers. He would have to thank Patty later.

If it wasn't for all her asymmetrical hugs, he probably wouldn't have been able to handle this one. It was a lot closer to symmetry than any of the ones Patty had given him.

'Let her cry,' Kid thought to himself, 'think of the figure eight. Let her let loose all the emotions she had probably stored for years. Think of the numbers that have eight and zero.'

It had lasted ten minutes before Maka could really control herself. She let go of Kid and refused to meet his eyes.

"I've decided," Kid said in as-a-matter-of-fact voice, "that this will be a usual thing. You are going to cry until you are content."

Maka laughed despite herself.

"What a stupid thing to say." Maka said wiping her tears.