Chapter Six

"So, you and Maka are getting pretty close, huh?" Liz commented at the dinner table.

Kid cleared his throat, "I suppose."

"We go on every mission with her and Soul now!" Patti added, "It's kinda fun, but weird at the same time. It's like when zebras and lions talk to each other 'cause Mr. Giraffe said to so he can get at Ms. Hippopotamus."

The dining room was silent for a moment. Kid was a little bemused by the comment Patti had made but chose to ignore it for now. He looked at his food. Usually he'd complain to Liz that she'd gotten the symmetry on his plate all wrong, but he had gotten a little better at keeping his mouth shut. It still bothered him, oh so very much, but he had learned to act calm.

"Are you two dating or something?" Liz asked almost making Kid choke on his food.

"Of course not." Kid replied quickly, "Wasn't you and Patti who had told me she was interested in Soul?"

"Yuppers," Patti giggled, "That was us!"

Liz played around with her food, "It was obvious at the time."

"Then why on earth would Maka and I be dating?" Kid said looking at his own food.

"Cause you two look at each other differently now." Liz replied, "It's almost like you can read each other's minds with just a glance."

"Me and you can do that sissy!" Patti grinned.

"Or maybe you two just like lookin' at each other." Liz mumbled bitterly.

"Well, Maka is symmetrical." Patti said pensively, "So that means she's really attractive to you right, Kiddo?"

Kid cleared his throat again. He was unsure how to reply. Some how he felt as though this was a trap set up by the sisters.

Liz practically stabbed her food with her fork, "I really should finish quickly. Eric and I have an unfinished conversation about his school dance."

"School dance?" Kid asked, "I thought you hated those kind of social events."

"I hate them when I have to exactly match Patti with a stupid outfit." Liz retorted, "Plus, you never let us dance like regular people."

Liz stood up angrily and left to her room. Kid sat in his chair devastated and baffled. He needed to see Maka more to fix his OCD quicker. He'd completely lose Liz to Eric if he didn't confess soon.

XXXX

The girl laughed, "You are kidding me!"

The second girl shook her head, "I'm telling you Kid is old fashion. He and Maka's father met at a café and Kid asked for Spirit's permission to date Maka!"

"Well, he's not that old fashion because there love scandal goes back five years." The first girl replied.

Soul scoffed. Kid and Maka didn't know each other back then. Honestly, these rumors were so uncool. How'd they even get started? Kid and Maka were just friends.

Soul walked away from his locker and shoved his hands in his pockets. As he walked past Maka's locker, he scared off the boys who tried to leave love letters like usual. He would have thought those idiot would have learned from the first two boys who tried to hand them to Maka. Not that Soul was jealous or cared who Maka dated. It was just that he wanted her concentrated on him…to make him the best death scythe!

It's not like he dreamt about her every night or loved to stare at her during class. He never considered taking down her hair from her pig tails to feel the soft hair or have her eyes stare into his in adoration. Having her lips on his was not a fantasy of his either. He tried to fight a blush at the thought. Why was he losing his cool at the moment?

She could date Kid! That was fine with him! But she wasn't because they were partners and she would have told him by now. So then all these rumors were false. He grinned. Those idiots.

Plus, if Kid had gone to Spirit for permission, Kid was the biggest moron in the world. Everyone knew that Spirit and Maka had a bad relationship. With or without permission, Maka was her own person and didn't listen to Spirit.

"I heard," an obnoxiously loud girl spoke, "that Death the Kid is like the best kisser in the world and Maka Albarn is some sort of naughty book nerd. They kind of met on accident. So, one day they were at the library and they like totally touched the same book. So, her green eyes met his yellow ones and bam instant love. He was sooo in love he went to ask her daddy permission to marry her…at a café."

What the hell kind of story was that? Soul glared at floor. He took a deep breath and reminded himself to be cool. Maka and Kid weren't dating. No way. She had a cool partner like him!

She didn't need the likes of the symmetry obsessed boy. Come one, Maka, he has two partners…talk about commitment issues.

XXXX

Black*Star was puzzled by the word on the street. It wasn't about him! It was all about Maka and Kid. Why was a big star like him being outshined by those two? He'd find them and beat them proving he is superior.

"Hey, Tsubaki," Black*Star said looking to his right, "I don't get what the big commotion is about Maka and Kid."

Tsubaki smiled gently at him. Black*Star had gotten taller but he still had to look up to meet her eyes. A small smile appeared on his features. She had that kind of power over him and more power than he'd like to admit.

"Well," She began with her gentle voice, "It seems that everyone has gotten the idea that Kid and Maka are secretly dating."

"But if everyone thinks so how is it a secret?" Black*Star asked.

She let out a small giggle. It sounded like bells to Black*Star. The sound was always like a lullaby to him.

"That's why everyone is talking about it in whisper." Tsubaki shrugged, "It's probably untrue though. That's gossip for you."

"Do you gossip?" Black*Star asked.

"Not to such a high degree like most girls my age." She sighed, "But a little with Liz."

He nodded in understanding.

"Well, it doesn't matter if you did or didn't!" Black*star suddenly shouted, " 'Cause a goddess like you is allowed to do whatever she pleases!"

Tsubaki smiled at him, a special smile reserved only for him. It was mix of pleasure and wanting him to shut up. He grinned widely at her.

"So, Tsubaki, Goddess of," Black*Star paused trying to find the appropriate phrase, "Goddess of the night sky, do you like someone? Is he worthy or should your god Black*Star give him a good talking?"

Tsubaki didn't reply, but simply stared at Black*Star. Black*Star the boy who could be as rude and obnoxious as he was loud but was also very gentle and kind when it came to her. He was far from what she imagined as her dream guy, but she could be herself with him. He was too young to understand her feelings at this point in time and since boys didn't mature as fast as girls so she'd have to wait a bit longer.

"I'm just waiting for him to notice me the way I notice him." Tsubaki said.

Black*Star's grin fell. He hadn't expected an actual answer much less for her to actually like someone. How dare the fool not realize! Tsubaki was an amazing, gorgeous, intelligent, patient, calm, kind, and…and just perfect! Black*Star would know considering he was in love with her.

Had she given him one more moment he would have shouted it to the skies. Whoever this guy is, he's going down. He would win his goddess back! He knew nothing of relationships, but he'd ask Maka and Kid because obviously they knew something about it.