Chapter Eleven

Soul scanned through the albums on the rack. He was in his favorite store in Death City and, much like Justin Law, he had his headphones on full blast. He felt a little crappy and figured music could help. It actually just made him picture different things that could happen. He made a face as the song 'Make No Mistake' began to play.

Basically it was about two guys fighting over a girl. It was painfully ironic as he turned around and looked through the window, there was Maka and Kid. She had forgiven him for whatever he had done. He had lamely sent her flowers, chocolates, a big teddy bear, and a note asking to be forgiven. Had it been Soul, he would have had the courage to talk to her face to face that very morning.

It bothered Soul like when people tried to say that a cover of a song was better than an original. Soul tried to concentrate back on the albums of the best 80's artists in front of him, but he kept looking over to the window through the corner of his eyes. Would Maka leave him for Kid? He quickly began to hum and picked up an album. His thoughts would be the end of him.

Soul went to buy the CD and paid the man at the counter. Soul's eyes engrossed at the two outside. He so badly wished he could read lips. So he tried.

"Maka, maybe you should...feelings...Soul." Kid said, but Soul knew he was missing a big chunk of the conversation.

Maka responded in an upset manner, but her back was to him so Soul couldn't even guess what she was saying.

"Face it...No matter what your father did you...different person...Mama's mistake isn't yours...fair to you or to...his feelings...what if...Plus the rumors..." Kid replied with an expression of deep concern.

Soul felt annoyed. He didn't even get half of that. He supposed he could make a guess of what was going on. Kid was trying to convince Maka to make their relationship public. That's all he could make out of it.

He walked outside and walked behind Maka giving Kid a bored expression. Kid's sympatric eyes faded as he looked at Soul. He almost tried to play it off like the conversation he had with Maka was meaningless.

"What's going on?" Soul asked taking off his headphones.

Kid leaned against the wall and waited for Maka to respond. Maka turned around and gave him a fake smile. Had Soul not known her as well as he did, he probably would have thought she was actually happy.

"Oh, nothing!" Maka replied, "Come on let's go to the book store."

"I'll go in just a second." Soul said, "I have to talk to Kid about something."

Maka looked at Soul and then back at Kid nervously. Kid wouldn't tell would he?

"I'll see you later, Maka." Kid smiled gently at her.

Maka sighed in defeat and nodded. She gently touched Soul's arm and looked up at him. She didn't want him to do anything stupid like listen to Black*Star about beating Kid up. She was afraid Kid wouldn't go easy on him and really hurt Soul. Then she'd never be able to forgive Kid.

When Soul and Maka's briefly met and she sent him the silent message, she walked away to the book store. There was a long silence between the boys when Maka left.

"Is there anything in particular you wanted, Evans?" Kid asked.

Soul glared at Kid.

"You made her cry." Soul saw Kid's flitch, "She forgave you, but I won't. I don't approve of you and her dating. You don't deserve her."

Kid looked at him baffled for a moment before going back to his neutral face. So, even Soul Evans had fallen trap to the rumor at school? Maybe, just maybe, Kid could use this to move forward their relationship. He tried his best not to grin at Soul.

"Oh," Kid replied, "And why do you care so much?" Kid let out a fake laugh, "Don't tell me you like Maka."

"I'm her partner." Soul gritted his teeth, "I'll protect her from everything and anything."

Kid pretended to sigh in relief, "Good, I was getting worried you liked her. You know, I think you're the only one who could take her away from me. I mean if you were romantically interested."

Soul's angry face became that of a confused and pleased one. Kid put his hands into his pockets.

"Protect Maka as you see fit." Kid said and began to walk away, "Would you remind her about the café date we have later?"

Kid grinned as he was far away enough. The date at the café was really her and her father talking things through. Kid was just invited to go with them.

"Your move Soul," Kid whispered to himself, "Better win Maka over."

XXXX

"Tsubaki...?" Black*Star looked at the crying girl.

She looked up at the boy in surprise. How was she going to explain herself? She simply couldn't tell Black*Star that she was burning with jealousy because he was hanging out with Maka. But were they really just hanging out or could Black*Star be into her? He hardly ever showed his sweet side to anyone and last night he'd shown Maka nothing but compassion.

"S-sorry," Tsubaki tried to smile, "the boy I love seems interested in another girl and-and I can't take it! I can't handle him looking at another girl that way. I want him to be all mine."

Black*Star pulled Tsubaki into a hug, "He's a moron for not noticing a girl like you!"

Even if Black*Star said that, he was ecstatic with the thought that the guy wouldn't be a problem. He wasn't too pleased with Tsubaki being in pain because of it though. It also made his heart tug a little that another guy could provoke a reaction like that out of her.

"I'm selfish Black*Star." Tsubaki whispered.

"Lies." He hissed.

"I want all of his love to myself." She continued, "I'm jealous and possessive, but I haven't even told him what I feel."

"Well, he should have noticed!" Black*Star yelled, "Tell me who he is. I'll set him straight!"

XXXX

Kid fell to the floor as he entered his house. He had done something unnecessary again. He had lied to Soul about his relationship with Maka. Maybe It'd help them move forward...or it could make things worse. Kid wished he could rewind time and just explain to Soul what was really going on.

But he couldn't no matter how much he wanted to. He could clearly see he'd done wrong. Maybe he'd gotten it right with Maka and telling her what he thought of the matter of her father, but just barely. Why had he done this? Why was he so involved with what she chose?

"Because I envy her." Kid softly said.

Why'd he mess with Soul then? Why'd he give him that extra push?

"Because I saw Eric confess his love to Liz and I myself was pushed off the edge." Kid whispered.

He was glad the girls weren't home yet. They were still on their shopping spree no doubt.

"I did an awful thing, Liz, Patti." Kid spoke hoarsely, "I-I took it upon myself to tell Maka what she was doing was wrong. It wasn't my place, but I thought I was doing it selflessly...In reality, I just envied her. I was jealous of how her father would stop at nothing to try to gain her approval! I guess I just wanted to see her shattered. Ha, I guess I truly am heartless." Kid slowly sat up, "Then because I was losing hope with Liz...I probably did the same to Maka with Soul even if she hasn't really realized her feelings. Oh, how can I fix this?"

~(.3.)~ Drama bomb!