Chapter Nine

After a long laugh, the trio remained on the floor looking up at the sky. They weren't sure how it started but they had begun saying cheesy pick up lines. Black*Star's were by far the funniest, Kid's the cheesiest, and Maka's were actually pretty sly. When they paused from the pickup lines, they'd simply look at the clouds. Black*Star and Maka laughed again as Kid remained quiet in thought.

Kid wasn't sure how to bring Maka's father up with Black*Star around. He wasn't sure if she was that comfortable with Black*Star. She was in the middle so it was easy to glance at her without Black*Star noticing. How could he bring up the topic without upsetting Maka? It had slipped out of his mouth before he had really thought it through.

"Maka, what is your mother like?" Kid asked softly.

Maka turned her head slightly to look at him. She had an unreadable expression before breaking into a big grin. Her eyes immediately shined and her voice was filled with pure love.

"She's an amazing woman." Maka began, "She's brave, smart, funny, lovely, and a true lady. I've never met anyone who can top her."

"Do ya look like her?" Black*Star curiously said.

"Not really," Maka said sheepishly looking at Black*Star, "I have her hair and eyes, but that's about it. We don't even look remotely close other than that."

There was a bit of a silence. It wasn't awkward, but comforting. It was odd how easily the three could bond. "And you Black*Star?" Kid said, "What is your mother like?"

Kid figured that if he could start off with asking the two about their mothers he could move to their fathers. It could lead him to find out how to get Maka to forgive her father or at least have a good father-daughter date.

"I don't know what kinda lady she was." Black*Star shrugged, "I mean it's not like it matters now and it's never mattered to me either. She was dead before I got to meet her. I hear I got her hair color though."

"Doesn't that upset you?" Maka asked, "To not know anything about her? It must have at one point."

"Nah," Black*Star replied simply, "Sid and Nygus were always there for me. If I could say they were my parents I would. I bet those two got a romance going too. What about you, Kid? We all know your dad, but what about your mom?"

Kid looked over Maka's head surprised. The conversation wasn't supposed to go to him at all. He looked at the sky uncomfortably.

"She's dead as well." Kid whispered, "She's been dead since I was eight."

"Did you know a lot about her?" Black*Star asked, "What do you remember about her?"

Both Maka and Black*Star watched him curiously.

"She had golden eyes, raven black hair, and this amazing smile that if you had seen it you couldn't help but smile too. I couldn't accept her death." Kid sighed, "I just thought that everything needed to be perfect when she got back. I'd make everything perfect so when she got back she wouldn't bother with it and she'd just talk to me…but of course she never came back. I slowly came to accept that, but the hope didn't go away. I was alone for so long that it was okay to be concerned with perfection or symmetry the way I was."

Kid half forget that Maka and Black*Star were watching him. He seemed deep in memory.

"My father worked to forget and I tried to make everything perfect to cling onto hope. I didn't even realize I had a problem until I started to interact with other people." He sighed, "My father was obsessed with giving me a weapon, but I refused everyone because my mother used to say 'symmetry was perfection'. She probably meant paintings and furniture, but I couldn't change my mind, not after so long."

Maka tried to hold back the tears forming in her eyes.

"Then I met Elizabeth and Patricia Thompson. It was odd, but I enjoyed their presence. I finally realized the full extent to my problem, but with Patty's laughter at it and Liz's smile to Patty's laugh, it was okay. Now, I know I have to change. How many times have I-" Kid cleared his throat, "Sorry, that was excessive."

"No way, man." Black*Star replied, "We're your friends and sometime you just need to get stuff off your chest."

Maka let out a small sob. The two boys looked at her nervously. How would they deal with a crying girl? Kid had done it once but he still felt his breath hitch.

"Sorry," Maka said smiling.

"How about we change the topic?" Black*Star said, "Like when and how you guys started dating."

That was when a very awkward conversation began. Where Kid and Maka had to explain they weren't dating and what was really going on. Black*Star uncharacteristically responded nonchalantly. He swore never to listen to rumors again…unless they were about him and his godliness!

"I kind of figured you were into Soul." Black*Star commented, "I mean the way you two are. There really is a fine line between weapons and their partners."

"W-what?" Maka asked with a big blush, "Soul and I…I mean…we couldn't…I don't…"

She couldn't. Not, yet. She had to know that love wasn't just a lie. She hated lies. She wouldn't be able to stand it, not with Soul. She trusted him.

"You figured it?" Kid sighed defeated, "Liz and Patti had to tell me."

"Aren't you suppose to be like super smart?" Black*Star questioned, "Maka makes it as obvious as daylight."

"Oh, shut up." Maka snapped, "What does it matter what I feel? He would never see me that way because all he thinks of me is," Maka sat up frustrated, "is a partner in combat. Why would I chase after someone who won't love me? I won't make the only mistake Mama made!"

"Maka…" Kid sat up with her.

"All he sees in me is a book worm and-and small breast!" Maka shouted, "He isn't interested and neither am I! How can I be into someone like him?"

The boys looked at Maka with concern. Once she was calmed she looked at them apologetically.

"Sorry," Maka gave them a sheepish look, "Soul and I would just never work. I'm going to head home."

Kid and Black*Star watched her leave.

"I swear it to you Kid," Black*Star said, "You ever make her cry again I'll hurt you."

"What?" Kid looked at him bewildered, "You're the one who started with the Soul thing!"