Part 18: It was too much

I walk down the hidden stairs of the Chasm and stand on the rock that overlooks the rapids.

"I miss you, Chris. Everyone does. I wish you could be here to see me get married. I wish you had more time. I wish, I wish. If I could have anything--anything in the whole entire world-- it would be to have you alive again. But, the world is not a wish granting factory. I miss you, Chris. I'll go see how Will's doing after this, bye." I yell out, my voice barely audible.

I take her wedding ring - the one Will gave her - out of my pocket. I bring my hand back and throw the ring down into the Chasm. I see it reverberate off the wall and land into the rocks.

I turn on my heel and walk to Will's room. The walk's short, like always, and quiet. No noise can be heard from anywhere in the whole compound. I wonder where everyone is...

I knock on his door and listen for his usual, 'Come in!' When I don't hear it, I push on the door. It's open.

Inside, all the lights are on and Will lays in his bed, something laying limp in his hand. I shake his shoulders.
"Will. Will. Get up. Will?" I start to worry. I pick up the bottle in his hand. It's for a prescription. Sleeping pills. The bottle's empty. Oh no.

I grab a container of water from the fridge and pour it on his body. Nothing. He doesn't flinch, doesn't move, doesn't yell.

I feel for his pulse on his wrist. Nothing. His hand's cold...freezing. I collapse down on the side of his bed, grasping onto his hand for dear life.
"Will!" I sob. He's dead. He's really dead.

I should've seen the signs! He's been very anti-social and depressed. I could've saved his life! He hasn't been right since Christina's death. I should've known he would do something like this. Tears stream down my face and I ignore them. All I care about is Will.

It's all my fault,

"Oh my Gosh," I sob over and over. "Oh my God. It's all my fault. It's all my damn fault!" I bite down on my knuckles to hold back a scream. I have to stay calm. I cannot become hysterical.

I reach onto the desk, picking up the Compound phone. I dial the numbers that would have saved his life, had I been here earlier. 911.
"Hello, my name's Caroline. How may I help you?" The lady, Caroline, on the phone asks.
"Hi. I found...I found my friend...He's dead...Over dosed on sleeping pills." My voice cracks.
"Oh, dearie! What room?" She asks, her voice suddenly worried.
"103C...Hurry. Please. I don't...I don't know how long I can stay here...Bye." My voice comes out rough and cracked.
"I'll be there in a jiffy, honey. Don't worry!" She hangs up and I drop the phone onto the floor. The dial tone and my sniffles are the only sounds in the room. I'll never hear his laugh again. See his celery-green eyes. I'll never get to be lectured on how he thinks my tattoos were a mistake. He's gone. He's really gone.

Author's:
I almost cried writing this. It's very emotional for me, the author, because I killed him off, in all reality.
It wasn't the pills.
It was me.
I made him swallow the pills.
I made Tris late.
I killed Will.
Okay. How not to cry...Um...
Clench your teeth. Look up at the ceiling. Smile through it all.

Okay, so how was it? Sad, obviously....But, yeah. OPINIONS?(: