04

Valerie huffed as she flipped another page of Elijah's diary. She had began to miss him even though she hardly knew him. He was kind and passionate unlike Klaus.

His handwriting was neat and cursive and Valerie found herself jealous of it, hers was messy and big.

The diary contained his thoughts on his family and she found herself learning a lot more about the originals than ever before. Reading it from the point of view of one of them makes you feel sympathy as Elijah has been put through a hard time with Klaus.

August 1359. I have noticed a difference in my siblings. Our bond strains beneath the pressure of our life as vampires. Each day removes them further from the humanity we once possessed. My sweet sister, Rebekah, has grown quite indifferent to brutality.

Valerie smiled at the way he wrote so passionately and lovingly about Rebekah.

However, the true problem remains my brother, Niklaus.

Valerie sighed, somehow it was always Klaus causing the trouble.

He continues to hide his loneliness with cruelty. Still, I cling to the hope that I, as their eldest brother, can lead them down the correct path, a path charged with the power of a family united. For if I fail, our family's legacy will end in darkness.

Elijah never gave up on his hope for his brother. Valerie admired this and felt her heart tug at the thought of Jeremy and how she didn't do enough to help him. She also felt sorry for Klaus, he always had trouble showing emotion. She was happy with the amount of emotion he had shown towards her and hoped he could show a bit more.

It was in that moment she decided to call Damon, just to check in. She rang the number she had memorised and waited for him to pick up.

"Valerie thank god you called, do you know how worried I've been?" Valerie smiled. "Damon Salvatore cares? I'm blessed." She heard a slight scoff on the other side and laughed quietly. "Where are you?" Valerie sighed. "I'm in New Orleans... with Klaus."

Damon seethed "with Klaus? Do you understand what you just said?" Valerie nodded then realised he couldn't see her. "Yes I do Damon but, somethings happened and I'm in a situation I can't just leave." Damon then sighed understanding her. "The baby?"

"Yes partly that." Damon scoffed again "partly? What have you gotten yourself into Val?" Valerie sighed and decided to change the subject. "So what's happening in Mystic Falls then?" Damon told her a shortened explanation. "Elena's got her humanity back and that's about it."

"Elena's got her humanity back and you didn't try to get in contact with me!" Valerie was seething in anger. "I did! Can you not see the 70 missed calls on your phone."

Valerie gulped feeling slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, look I gotta go but I'll probably be back soon if this all goes down good." Damon nodded. "Okay Val, take care of yourself I don't trust that Klaus won't hurt you." Valerie smiled at his protectiveness "I can take care of myself Damon, I'll see you soon."

"Bye Val." Valerie smiled one last time and whispered back. "Bye Damon." She then hung up and jumped when she turned to see Klaus at the door, who himself had just come in after burning the bodies Rebekah had killed.

"You're leaving?" Klaus couldn't deny his jealousy when he heard her on the phone to Damon. Even though he knew they were just friends he found himself wishing they had a close relationship like them.

Valerie was distracted by the presence of Klaus that she didn't hear what he said. She blinked a couple of times and returned out of her gaze. "Huh?" Klaus then smirked knowing she had been staring at him.