Chapter 9 - [Tumini]

– Arius –

The mood that I felt last night remained with me the next morning. I even slept well, despite not getting as many hours of sleep as I would have liked. After conducting my own morning prayers, since my uncle still refused to let me come with him, I left my room feeling pretty good.

Tabia was first to run into me that morning, and she was definitely surprised to see my face. "Someone looks happy," she said as she joined me.

I was surprised that she noticed but didn't say anything to her.

"Did you sleep well?"

I nodded, "I did. Thank you."

"And where are you headed right now?" She asked.

"I need to talk to Aziza."

"Why?"

"That's none of your business."

Tabia frowned at me. "What do you mean, none of my business?"

I turned the corner, parting ways with her since she was going to the throne room and I was not. "Keep me updated with the Pharaoh's decisions," I said, waving at her while walking off.

"Nah-uh!" She called back, hands on her hips. "I'm not going to tell you anything if you keep giving me this disrespectful attitude!"

I turned around and gave her a silly smile right before she stuck her tongue out at me. Then I laughed, but continued on my way.

My relationship with Tabia had always been like this, filled with sarcasm and smart comments. That was just how we were... and if we acted otherwise than I would worry. It meant something must be wrong.

I guess, in a way, Tabia and I showed our love for each other by being rude to one another. It was the proof of our comfort with each other.

I mean, we had known each other since we were born; we're the same age, after all. And while my parents were alive, it was assumed that the two of us were to get married. However, after they died, the entire arrangement had been forgotten, to an extent.

When it was brought up again, Tabia was already madly in love with her fellow Royal Court member, the youthful Lord Khafirin, and both Tabia and I were at a point in our lives where we would rather die than marry the other.

We loved each other, yes... but I'm sure she wouldn't be able to stand me as a husband just as much as I would definitely be unable to stand her as a wife.

I think the only reason why the two of us were able to convince my uncle to forget about the whole wedding thing was because the two of us getting married would have actually helped my claim to the throne.

My uncle wouldn't want that, after all.

So he seemed more than willing to pretend the arrangement never happened.

And though, in the end, it didn't work out in my favor, we were both openly glad that we didn't end up getting married.

When I arrived at the Servants' Quarters, all the servants I passed obviously kept their heads low. The entire place, which was initially filled with the sound of girls and their giggles, silenced instantly.

Lady Aziza, who was exiting the Servants' Quarter when I arrived, bowed when she saw me. "My Prince."

I smiled at the frightening looking woman. "I was hoping I could talk to you, my Lady."

"Of course," she said. "How can I be of service to you?"

I started walking and she walked with me. I didn't want to stay in the Servants' Quarters for much longer for two reasons. The first being that it was very awkward. The second being that Chione might have been here and if I wanted to keep that lie going then I couldn't be caught doing princely things.