Chapter 16 - [Secret]

- Arius -

"Do you know anyone who is willing to remove an unborn baby from a woman's womb?"

Tabia's eyes widened at the question.

And it was only after I asked the question that I realized how stupid of an idea it was for me to ask her.

Dear Ra, was I a fool.

A full day had gone by since Chione had made the request and I knew no one who could help. My first guess was to ask Doctor Tumini, however in all the years I had known him, I had never heard of him doing this for someone. Besides, I didn't think Aunty Subira wouldn't be so happy with her husband doing something like that. So in the end, I decided to save asking him for last... I'd ask him if I could actually find no one else.

And then I made the stupid decision of asking Tabia.

"Arius! How could you?" She practically screeched, throwing her hands up in the air as she sat on my bed. I would have tried to shut her up if we weren't in the safety of my bedroom. "You impregnated a woman and now you're trying to kill the baby? How could you even call yourself a man–"

"It's not for me, Tabia," I hissed. I was leaning against the wall, glaring at her.

"Yeah, right... you nasty pig."

"Be careful who you call a pig, woman."

"Pig," she repeated.

"Listen to me," I said, seriously. "I'm asking you because I don't know who else to ask–"

"What, do you think I'd be so cruel?" She asked. "If Khafrin impregnated me, I would keep the baby no matter what."

Right then, there was a knock at my door.

"My Pharaoh," a guard called. "Your maid has arrived."

My eyebrows rose, surprised. She was early. "Yes, let her in."

When the door opened, she walked in quickly, holding the papyrus from the night before in her hands. I could see here face brighten when she saw me, however when she saw Tabia, she hesitated.

After bowing, she stuffed the papyrus into the belt around her waist and headed into the washroom to prepare my bath, not uttering a single word.

"She's doing amazing, isn't she?" Tabia suddenly said. "Aren't you grateful that I trained her?"

I ignored her comment and dropped my voice to a whisper. "So, do you know anyone? Anyone at all who could do the kind of magic it takes to remove a baby from a mothers womb?"

Tabia rolled her eyes, falling back on my bed and crossing her arms behind her head. "Killing an unborn baby isn't magic, Arius. It's murder."

I was taken aback by her comment but then sighed, knowing she was right. "But it's a maid... one of Aziza's."

Now Tabia sat up, eyes wide. "Really?"

"Do you get it now?" I asked.

Tabia rolled her eyes. "Oh, god dammit."

I nodded in agreement.

"Was it with a nobleman?"

I nodded again.

"Those disgusting leeches. They know how much trouble those maids can get in to yet they still risk it for their own pleasure."

"That's what I was thinking."

She then stood up. "Find out who the nobleman is. I'll go break his nose," she said, making me chuckle. "While you do that, I'll go ask Khafirin... He knows everything, so he's bound to know a sorceress who can do something about this."