CH. 8

Ugh, I really hated the way I portrayed Harry's character in the last chapter, so I apologize for that.

_ _ _ _

Peter waited at Gwen's locker the next morning, impatiently waiting for her to walk through the front doors and greet him with a smile, but she never came.

Panic spread through his body like a wildfire. Where was she? The bell was going to ring in thirty seconds, and Gwen Stacy was never late to class. The worst possible scenarios went through his head.

-What if she got sick overnight and was stuck in some hospital this very moment?

-What if she was hurt in the way to school?

- What if she was lying, and actually only had a night to live?

- What if she was dead?!

Peter instantly shook the thoughts out of his head, she had to be fine. His Spidey-Senses weren't acting up. He knew school was starting soon, but he couldn't help himself, he grabbed his phone out and dialed her number from memory.

Gwen anwsered on the second ring. "Oh, Peter, I'm so sorry but my mom scheduled all these appointments for me today and I would only be at school for at most an hour-"

He cut off her rambling, "Gwen, it's fine, I just wanted to be sure you were alright."

"Oh, right," He can tell she's embarrassed, so he said, " I only wish you were here with me, now I have to face the day all by myself without my magnificent girlfriend by my side....."

She laughs slightly before saying, "Girlfriend?"

"Well...yeah, that is, if you want to be my girlfriend again." He answered, hope apparent in his voice.

Gwen sighs. "Oh crap," Peter thought. "Oh, I want to more than anything, I just can't."

"You, you can't?" No, this couldn't be happening. They had to get back together, they needed to.

"Peter, I'm so sorry, but," Her voice cracked, "I can't. I can't let myself to do this to you. "

"What are you saying?" The hallways were clearing out, leaving him standing alone.

"What will happen when I die? I can't drag you back into my life right before." It was obvious she was crying now, and Peter wanted nothing more than to reach out to her, "I love you, but please, try to understand."

"Gwen-" But she had hung up.