Chapter 1: Daisy

It takes a moment for the scene around me fills with color. I'm standing in a hallway with light blue walls. I look down at the wooden floor and instantly knew I was inside of Erudite Headquarters. The wood was placed too strategically to be any other compound.

I look up and see Paul, at the same time he looked at me. My eyes widened when I remembered what happened after getting injected with Jeanine' s serum.

Watching fear landscapes.

Injecting the compound.

Patrolling my doped Dauntless members.

Getting shot by the Stiff.

Getting mended to by some nurse. She wasn't pretty.

Getting sent to patrol the halls with Paul.

And now, waking up from the serum abruptly. What happened?

"Eric," I snap my head towards Paul. "Run."

"What?" I say, still slightly baffled from the events that occurred. 

"We don't have much time before Jeanine finds out what happened. You need to run before they catch up to us."

"But-"

"No buts. Take care of my little girl when I'm gone Newman." He says and glances quickly behind glances him when we hear the sound of people running towards us.

"Run." He says.

And I do. I run and I turn the hallway just when I hear shouts off in the distant so I run faster. I almost make it to the exit when I run into a familiar hallway that makes me nearly trip. I can see my little sister, Daisy sitting in the hallway by herself sketching. 

"Daisy!" I yell out and her head snaps towards me. Her face, once contorted in a serious expression morphs into a smile when she sees me. 

"Bubba! I didn't know you were coming to visit." She says happily, closing her sketchbook and placing down her pencil.

"Why are you sitting here by yourself? Where's mom?" I ask, wrenching her up from the ground by her shoulders. 

"She's said she's working with Jeanine on something." My heart nearly stops beating when I hear this.

Could she really be supporting Jeanine?

No I can't go jumping to conclusions.

"Did she say what she was working on?" I ask.

"Not really. She was talking about there being a new leadership. I wasn't really listening." She mumbles. My throat goes dry when she says this.

"Come on. We have to go." I say and grab her arm. 

"Go? But Mom told me to stay here." She says tugging her arm away from me.

"Mom has gotten herself caught on the wrong side of a war." I state and grab her arm again.

"War? Bubba what are you talking about?" 

"I can explain later but right now we have to go." I start to pull her to follow me but she yanks her arm from my grasp.

"No Bubba!" She yells and takes a step away from me. Her voice bounces off the walls in an echo. Daisy gives me a stern look that's alien on her delicate face. 

I stand there for a moment, and let silence consume us for a few seconds until the sound of thundering footsteps starts heading toward us in the distance. Daisy's screams must have been heard by Jeanine's goons, we need to go now. Daisy's head turns toward the sound in confusion and I reach my hand toward her.