Chapter 9: Interrogation

When I wake, I see the door to the holding cell swing open and a few Dauntless Guards walk in. I shake Daisy awake and raise to my feet. It takes a second for the guards to recognize me but when they do their expressions grow darker. A Dauntless girl pushes through the people and rushes over to Tris. I recognize her as one of my old initiates.They hug but break apart when Tris complains about her gunshot wound. 

As I walk across the room I groan a little at the pain in my leg. I shake the pain off and we walk towards the elevator bank. I tune out the conversation best as I can as we ride the elevator. 

"Who's this girl?" The initiate says, turning to Daisy.

"My sister." I don't look down to see her face but I'm sure she was shocked. 

"Oh, Everret told me to give this," She sticks a folded piece of paper in my hand and I open it to find Everret's handwriting. 

Jack isn't letting any of the leaders in the interrogation to prevent us from causing a scene. We'll be listening from another room. Jack says Vana can see you once you've been cleared. Don't worry. 

-Everret

I read the note fast and stick it in my pocket once the doors open. The guards escort us to the doors of the interrogation room. There are Candor and Dauntless scattered around the room, some sitting some standing. The second I walk in, all eyes drift to me. The room grows quiet for a second but then there is an uproar of whispers and everyone's eyes are glued to me. 

In the middle of the room there is the Candor symbol, and two chairs on it. The guards lead us to the center where a man with a black box awaits. 

"My name is Niles," he says. "I will be your questioner. You—" He points at me. "You will be going first. So if you will please step forward ..." 

I start to step up but Daisy's hand quickly grabs my wrist. I turn around her and see she's almost on the brink of tears. I mouth 'it's okay' and she hesitantly lets go of me but her hand immediately latches onto the Four's hand. 

Niles opens up the box and inside are four  needles. He offers me an antiseptic wipe and I wipe my neck. Niles injects the serum into my neck and my blood immediately runs cold. All of the thoughts in my head disappear, and I'm left feeling blank.

"I will ask you a series of simple questions so that you can grow accustomed to the serum as it takes full effect," says Niles. "Now.What is your name?"

"Eric Newman." The words leap out of my mouth so fast I barely had time to think it. 

"What are the names of your parents, Eric?"

"Mary and Stephen Newman." 

"Any other family?"

"Daisy Newman is my sister." 

The room breaks out into shocked whispers at the thought of me having any siblings. Or family at all for that matter. 

After the room grows quiet again, Niles continues,"So you are a faction transfer?"

"Yes."

"You tranferred from Erudite to Dauntless."

"Yes." 

Again, the room breaks into whispers of new gossip again. 

""One of the purposes of this interrogation is to determine your loyalties," says Niles, "so I must ask: Why did you transfer?"

It doesn't take too long for me to know the answer. 

"Because I was too aggressive," A devilish smile spreads across my face. "Excuse me, I am too aggressive."