Chapter 8: Candor

"Eric, I need to talk to you," Four calls out to me. I hesitantly let go of Daisy and follow him to the other side of the room. I do my best to suppress the limp where I was shot. The wound is stitched but the pain is still present.  Tris's eyes look over at us curiously but Daisy is able to pull her back into the conversation. 

"What is there to talk about?" I lean on the wall.

"Not here." He opens the door and we step out. "What are your thoughts on Evelyn's plan."

"I've already stated that I don't hold any power in Dauntless-" He cuts me off.

"I know, I just want to hear your opinion about it."

"Well," I start to think. "She does have a point. We have to dismantle Erudite before they try to brainwash Dauntless again. In order to do that however, we'd have to have some help. Half the faction is with Erudite so we need the factionless to win."

He looks at me with those suspicious eyes again. It irritates me watching him struggle to trust me. His eyes glance over the top of my head again.

"Your hair is cut like an Erudite," I can hear hostility in his voice.

"Your mother decided on this cut," His eyes narrow more. "You think I have ulterior motives. Like I'm going to run off to Erudite when you turn around."

"Could you blame me?" I clench my fists.  

"Shut the fuck up. You agreed to bring me along. If you didn't want me here you could've killed me already." I spit back.

"No I wouldn't have because unlike you I have a conscious, I actually walk around with morals. You on the other hand can kill because you are a monster. You cannot feel for anything." His hands clench into fists too. 

"We both know why you couldn't kill me even if you had the chance. It's because deep inside, you're a coward. And you're still scared to admit," I snarl at him, watching his face twist into anger. I smile devilishly. "I'm right aren't I?"

"You know just because Vana isn't here doesn't mean you have to act aggressive to hide your sadness. You think people can't see you breaking without her but trust me, we can. So don't take your girlfriend problems out on me." He says, I clench my jaw as I feel my nails dig deeper into my palm.

"Don't take your mommy problems out on me," I spit. 

"You'd know something about mommy problems now wouldn't you?" He says. I lunge at him and my fist catches his jaw. He falls down to the ground and I aim to hit his face again but he swiftly dodges me. My fist connects with the concrete instead and the skin on my knuckles split at impact. I groan, falling back clutching my hand. My shot leg bangs on the floor causing me to instinctively roll The gravel cuts my cheeks and I am able to haul myself up. His elbow jabs onto my upper lip and he quickly shoves me away.

"Get a hold of yourself, we don't have time for this," He says. I roll my eyes and throw the door back open. 

"It's time to go," I call into the room. Daisy and Tris turn around and start to move out of the room. I hurriedly turn around and spit some blood out of my mouth before Daisy can notice the cuts on my face. 

"Time to go? To where?" I hear Daisy ask behind me. I start to walk, hoping that I can avoid her watchful eyes. 

"Candor," Four says.

"What happened to your jaw?" Tris asks Four.

"Nothing, I'm fine." I can hear Daisy's footsteps catch up to me. Before I can stop it, she tugs me to turn around. 

"Oh my god, Bubba!" She looks at my face with teary eyes. 

"Shhh, I'm fine," I say hurriedly and continue to walk. "Hurry up, we have to get there before sunset.