Chapter 11: Candor v. Dauntless

Eric POV

My body instantly tenses at the sound of Adrian's name. Daisy grips onto my shirt tightly still even though he is still long gone. I can tell by her erratic breathing that a panic attack was coming on, so I hurriedly pick her up and start to make my way out of the lobby. She buries her head into my shoulder and I can hear her sniffling.

"I'm gonna go have a talk with Daisy, we'll have a leader meeting in like 30," I tell Vana on my way out. Her purple eyes fills with pity as she gazes at Daisy and she nods. 

I half jog half sprint to Vana and I's room and sit Daisy on our bed. I hug her as she let her cries go into my shoulder. Once her sobs turn into small sniffles I start to speak. 

"Could you walk me through what happened?" I whisper. She pauses for a second but then hesitantly starts speaking.

"We were in the lobby and then there were gunshots from traitors. I got shot in the neck but I wasn't bleeding, so I knew it wasn't a bullet. But everyone around me was unconious so I just pretened with them.  The guards started to walk past me but then-" She stops talking and lets out a sob. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay Gumdrop. Go as slow as you need," I say.

"I hear A-Adrians voice-" Her fingers grip my shirt tighter. "And he picked me up and dragged me to the elevators. And the guards were bringing other people that were awake to the elevators. And Adrian was talking  about how he loved me and he was taking me back to Erudite. But then he said Mom won't want me if she finds out I'm divergent and how I'll have to be his. The guards brought in Tris and Uriah and they were trying to save me but failed me. The Adrian told a guard to kill the Candor boy because he was too young and he could only bring back two divergents. He was about to kill Tris but she stabbed a guard and you guys came in. Adrian grabbed but I fought him off but he said he would come back for me."

"You're divergent?" I ask. 

"I think so. Is that alright with you?"

"Of course." I sigh. "At least we got mom off our back though."

"Unless she puts a bounty on my head."

"She wouldn't go that far."

"I'm scared Bubba."

"Of Adrian?" She nods against my shoulder. I pull her away and gaze sternly into her grey eyes.

"Listen to me. Adrian won't get you, I'll be here to protect you."

"You can't always be there Eric," She mutters sadly. Her head drops to her lap and I realize there is blood on her dress and hands. "When Adrian killed that boy I was comforting his corpse. I should probably clean up." 

I nod and we walk to the nearest bathroom. Upon arrival I look up and see Uriah and Tris already in there. 

"I'll leave you here, I have a leader meeting to get to. Plus you should probably talk to people like you about this. " I say to her. She nods and reaches up to hug me. I catch eye contact with Tris. "I also wanted to thank you guys for trying to help Daisy. I really appreciate it."  

Uriah's jaw nearly hits the floor. As I leave I can hear him mutter something and Daisy replies.

"I didn't know that cold blooded man can be such a softie sometimes."

"Only for the ones he loves."

~*~

When I enter the meeting room I see that Vana and Everret are already there, both of them absorbed in a stack of paperwork. Everret looks up at me for only a second but then goes right back to work. Vana gets up and wraps her arms around me, and stands on her tip toes to peck my lips. But the affection is short lived.