Chapter 6

My hand automatically grabs my gun and points it at a woman holding a plank with a nail at the end. The train car falls silent as everyone armed is on their feet and aiming their weapon at someone.

"I've never seen the Amity armed before," a factionless woman with a knife says.

"They aren't Amity," A man with an eyepatch and gun says. "They're Dauntless."

"Hello, Edward," Stiff says. I'm confused as to who Edward is for a second until I remember he's the kid who got stabbed in the eye with a butter knife.

"Tris." He says without any emotion in his voice.

"Whatever you are," the woman says, "you'll have to get off this train if you want to stay alive."

"Please, we've been running ... and the rest of them are dead and I don't ..." The abnegation girl starts to sob behind me. "I don't think I can keep going, I ..."

"We're running from the Erudite," says Caleb. "If we get off, it will be easier for them to find us. So we would appreciate it if you let us ride into the city with you."

"Yeah?" Edward tilts his head. "What have you ever done for us?"

"I helped you when no one else would," Stiff says. "Remember?"

"You, maybe. But the others?" says Edward. His eyes and gun are trained at me now, which makes me slightly regret how I had mistreated him in initiation. "Not so much."

I see Four step forward beside me. 

"My name is Tobias Eaton," He says. "I don't think you want to push me off this train."

It's amazing how quick they all lower their weapons at the sound of Four's real name. They exchange a look for a second and I slowly lower my gun.

"Eaton? Really?" Edward says, eyebrows raised. "I have to admit, I did not see that coming." He clears his throat.

"Fine, you can come. But when we get to the city, you've got to come with us." Then he smiles a little. "We know someone who's been looking for you, Tobias Eaton."

I give him a skeptical look and a dangerous smile grows on my face.

"Tobias?" I say. 

"Shut up Newman."

"Such a fucking Stiff," I mutter under my breath. 

~*~

When we jump off the train and maneuver our ways  through the dirty streets until we enter a building of rotting bricks. Edward leads us into a dark room with a single lantern. People, wearing colors of many faction, sitting around opening cans of food and drinking water. It doesn't surprise me to see the factionless  together. Although I've never been in a factionless storehouse, it didn't take me long to realize that they existed.

Edward beckons us to follow him again and we travel deeper into the building.

"What's going on here? Why are you all together like this?" Tris asks, shocked.

"You thought they—we—were all split up," Edward says over his shoulder. "Well, they were, for a while. Too hungry to do much of anything except look for food. But then the Stiffs started giving them food, clothes, tools, everything. And they got stronger, and waited. They were like that when I found them, and they welcomed me."

Edward stops at a metal door and pounds on it with his fist.

"Wait, you said they were waiting?" says Caleb. "What were they waiting for, exactly?"

"For the world to fall apart," Edward says. "And now it has."

A women with a lazy eye opens the door.