Intransigent | 33

Chapter 33
Ashton

    With my mate by my side, I lead my wolves to their battle positions.  In a straight run, it would take us about five hours to reach our destination.  After that, the wolves would move into their assigned positions that I had given them the day before.  Emma already knew that she was not to leave my side until this was over. 

    Dane was carrying a backpack with all the essentials.  When we were in position, we would conference call the other alphas and coordinate our attacks.  It was very important that we all attacked at the same time and stayed completely unnoticed until that time came. 

    The other packs had set up this morning so that they could scout Max's pack.  It would do no good to attack today if Max decided to leave.  We also needed to know how his patrols were working and whether they had recently increased.

    Axel was chafing to be released.  We both knew that today was the day that we would get revenge for the abuse of our mate.  Rafe would be released when I thought he could control himself.  We both wanted a piece of Max and I intended to let Axel fight Max as well.

    I glanced over at Emma as we ran.  I was worried about her today, but I knew that she would be safe.  She had promised to stay by my side for the entire battle and to stay out of the fight with Max.  I knew that she and Mel badly wanted to fight him, but Axel and I couldn't handle that kind of danger for her.  Not after everything she had already been through.

    We were, however, considering letting her yell at him before we finished him off.  If we could get him down without a chance of turning the fight, we would let Emma say anything she wanted to him.  It was the best plan we could come up with.  It would keep Emma happy and safe, which were our two biggest priorities as her mate.

    As we grew closer to Max's territory borders, I slowed to a stop, proud when my pack automatically fell in.  I swung my head down the territory line and sent an order through the pack link.  To your positions.  Be silent and be invisible.  If you're noticed, it will ruin the entire plan.

    Not one wolf responded through the pack link, silently following directions as the slunk silently into the growing shadows to spread down the territory line. Once they were all in place, we would have the entire pack surrounded with the other packs' help.

    Emma, Dane and I moved back until we were well out of hearing range of the passing patrols and shifted back, pulling on just enough clothes to keep us decent.  Then, I took the phone that Dane was holding to me, initiating the conference call that all the alphas were waiting for.

    Emma stepped closer to me, pressing against my side so that she could hear the conversation as well.  They all answered with a standard alpha greeting: their names. Emma smiled as each person answered and I smiled back at her before getting down to business.

    "What's going on out there?"  I asked.

    "No increase in patrols and Max is still on the territory," David replied.

    "Has anyone actually seen him?" Emma piped in quietly.

    "I have," Jackson replied.  "He did the rounds about eleven am, checking on his patrols and making sure everyone was doing their jobs.  Haven't seen him since, but we know he hasn't left, Emma."

    "It's obvious that he has no idea what's happening," Darren added.  "He obviously didn't think that we would be interested in avenging our pack members."

    "Or he didn't think that they'd made it to us," David replied darkly.  "Today, he will learn just who he messed with."

    "And who he greatly underestimated," Emma growled lowly.