Intransigent | Epilogue

Epilogue
Emma

    I growled as my son shook his head at me.  "Mom, I am not making you pancakes," he told me, his voice expressing his exasperation.  He'd grown up so fast, hitting 18 in the blink of an eye.  He was nearly the spitting image of his father and he was turning out to be an excellent alpha.  He'd taken over the position from his father on his eighteenth birthday, three months ago.  There was no question that he was born for the position.  He was a complete natural at taking care of the pack. 

    He was still my little boy, though.  I knew him inside and out.  I knew his favorite foods, music, all of the crushes he'd had through his preteen years.  I also knew how bothered he was by not finding his mate when he turned sixteen, or any time after.  He hid it very well from everyone, but I saw right through it.  I'd assured him multiple times that she would come along when it was time, but I could sense his unrest.

    "Donny," I whined, giving him my best puppy dog eyes.  "Your mother only turns thirty-nine once you know!"

    "Thirty-nine is not a major birthday, mama," he told me, leaning down slightly to kiss my forehead.  He'd managed to grow taller than both his father and I in the past couple years. "I'll make you pancakes when you turn forty."

    I growled again, throwing myself against the back of the kitchen barstool. "It's still a birthday," I told him.  "What kind of child doesn't make their mother breakfast in bed on her birthday?"

    Donovan just laughed at me.  "The kind of child that has had meetings all morning and only has a twenty minute break before the next one starts.  Dad and I will make you a great dinner tonight, but the pancakes are going to have to be a no go, sorry."

    I sighed, knowing he was right.  He and Ashton had been in meetings all morning with the other alphas.  Matthew's son had taken over their pack a little over a year ago and he was turning out even worse than his father had been.  Alphas all over were meeting with one another to figure out how to deal with him.

    He was insolent and demanding, as well as pushy and greedy.  He'd already tried to take down a small pack neighboring his lands, for no reason other than he wanted to.  From what I'd heard, he didn't treat the women in his pack very well either.

    I leaned up and kissed Donovan's cheek softly.  "I know, Donny.  Go figure out what's going on.  I'll find my breakfast."

    Donovan hugged me tightly.  "I will.  Happy birthday, Mama," he whispered in my ear.  My heart swelled, as it always does when my baby boy is around.  He gave me another quick smile before leaving the kitchen just as Cara walked in.

    "Did I hear something about the birthday girl wanting pancakes?" she asked with a teasing grin.

    I sat up straight and nodded enthusiastically, making her laugh.  She came around the island and gave me a tight hug.  "Happy birthday, Emma," she cheered before turning and heading for the stove.

    I leaned my chin on my hand and watched as Cara started pulling down food coloring and cookie cutters along with the normal pancake mix, oil and water.  It was the way pancakes had been made since I first taught her how to make them, back when she was only six years old.

    It wasn't long before Cindy and Emily joined the party, helping Cara make the fun and colorful pancakes.  Soon, we were all sitting around the island, eating and chatting.

    "So what does Ashton have planned for you later?" Emily asked.

    I grinned just at the mention of my mate.  I hadn't seen him much since this morning, when he'd woken me up with a searing kiss and birthday wishes, but I knew he had something planned for us after the meetings.  I'd been banned from them today, because apparently, meetings weren't something that should be done on my birthday.  They all think I work too hard and try to keep me away whenever they have a good excuse.

    "He won't tell me what he has planned and he's done a good job hiding it from our mind link," I told them and they all oohed and aahed, as we speculated what he could have planned.

    I sat straight up in my chair as I felt distress and worry come through my link, from both Ashton and Donovan.  The girls straightened as they noticed my distress, watching me with wary eyes.  What's going on? I asked Ashton.

    I think you'd better come to the office, love, Ashton replied.

    I stood from my stool quickly.  "I need to go see what's going on.  Thanks for breakfast!" I smiled at them quickly before racing out of the room and down the hallway to the office. 

    Donovan and Ashton were sitting at the desk, with wide eyed, shocked expressions.  Ashton held out his arms and I immediately moved to sit in his lap.  "What's going on?" I asked again.

    "Rodney just called us," Donovan replied.  "It's about Adrianna."

    I started as I heard their names.  Those two were almost my own children, Ashton and I had helped quite a bit raising them. "What's wrong with Adrianna?" I asked, worry coursing through me.  She was strong, even for her bloodline, but I was terrified that she'd been hurt somehow.

    "She's run away," Ashton replied.  "She killed Matthew's son when he tried to force himself on her and she ran off."

    "She ran off?" I exclaimed in disbelief, standing up to pace the office.  "Why would she do that?"

    "Rodney thinks she was worried about Matthew's retaliation," Donovan replied, running his hands through his hair in frustration.  "Doesn't she know that we would have protected her?"

    I sighed harshly, sinking back into Ashton's lap, letting his soothing hands calm me as he rubbed my back.  "Of course Adrianna knows that," he soothed.  "The crazy girl probably thinks she's protecting all of us by taking off."

    I growled angrily at the thought of Adrianna being in danger and not coming to us for help.  She should know that we can take care of ourselves. We have more than enough allies and her brother and us could take on Matthew's pack together without our allies.  "Call Rodney back.  We're going to find her, bring her home and take care of Matthew and his pack once and for all."

THE END