Intransigent | 3

Chapter 3

David's POV

My baby girl's birthday was today and I wanted everything to be perfect. So did her mother. Abigail was flying around the house at four in the morning, trying to get things around. She was a woman on a mission. I knew that I probably wouldn't be seeing Emma until later today. Abby kept giving me things to do and I couldn't seem to sneak away.

I was helping get a ladder from the garage when I felt anger roll through the pack link, coming from Emma. Listening carefully, I picked up the sound of growling from the kitchen. I quickly spun, giving the ladder to my beta, Ben. "Take this to the backyard, I need to take care of something," I ordered him, taking off into the pack house.

It's hard to make Emma mad enough for her anger to leak through the pack link. The only way to do so is to threaten the pack or hurt a member of the pack, be it physical or emotional. She really would be an amazing Luna one day and I couldn't be more proud of her.

However, her anger could be deadly. She was well trained and strong. I knew for a fact she had the largest female wolf I'd seen in my day, and I didn't want her to injure or kill whoever she was mad at. The only people in the house that weren't pack members were the visiting alphas and her killing one of them was the last thing I needed.

As I stepped into the kitchen, I saw Emma, shifted and stalking closer to Matthew, an alpha here for the party tonight. I didn't really like him, but I liked his father and it would've been rude of me not to invite his son to Emma's party.

"What is going on here?" I asked.
I noticed that Emma stopped stalking closer to Matthew and saw a shudder run through her. I knew that meant that Mel was giving her control back. Matthew had definitely done something if Mel had completely taken over.

I rolled my eyes when he told me that Emma was ridiculous. If he wasn't going to answer me, I would ask someone who would. "Elizabeth, what is going on?"

She was the omega in the pack, but unlike other packs, we don't treat her like dirt. She's the weakest fighter in the pack but that doesn't mean that she isn't a member and we take care of our pack.

Elizabeth crossed her arms over her chest, shooting a quick glare at Matthew before meeting my eyes. "Alpha Matthew refused to eat with Lisa and I in the room, and Emma told him that he could suck it up or leave. He picked a fight and Mel took over."

I growled lowly, my wolf and I both pissed off. No one is allowed to treat any member of my pack that way, and my daughter has just as much authority around here as her mother and I. "You have three seconds to get off my territory Matthew, or my guards will do it for you," I told him.

He glared at everyone in the room like the child he is and then stomped out of the dining room. Once the front door slammed shut, everyone turned to look at Emma.

"Emma?" I summoned. She wagged her tail, trotting over and sitting at my feet, looking up at me with a big smile, her tongue hanging out of her mouth and making me roll my eyes and smile down at my wonderful daughter. "Happy birthday, baby girl," I told her, leaning down slightly to hug her.

I laughed as she licked my face and patted her head. "Go get dressed and come back down for breakfast," I told her. "I heard the commotion and came to check it out, but I need to get back outside and help your mother."

Before leaving, though, I decided to warn the other alphas so that I wouldn't have to do this again later if they were too stupid to learn by example. "You will treat Elizabeth and Lisa with respect," I warned them. "Their rank does not mean you can treat them like dirt. They're a part of this pack, omega or not." I made eye contact with all of them before leaving the room.

I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon outside setting up for the party, only taking a break for lunch. I wasn't surprised that Emma asked to work in my office today. She hated sitting idle, and she loved to help me with pack business. Just another piece of proof that she would make an amazing Luna. Abby refused to break for lunch, convinced that she wasn't going to be able to decorate in time, so I brought her back a ham sandwich when I went back outside.

The party was all set up and everyone was outside and ready a half hour before Emma and her friend Ally came outside. I clapped and cheered with everyone else in the pack as she walked down the stairs of the deck and I watch proudly with my arm around my mate as she mingled with the pack, making sure no one felt left out.

I stole her for a daddy-daughter dance about half-way through the night. She was beautiful in her dress and she glowed with happiness. I always wanted her happy, and when she finally found her mate, he was going to be walking a narrow line. If he hurts her even once, I'll take him down.

As it got later, I relaxed in a deck chair off to the side of the party, content to watch. I smiled when I saw all the little ones dragging an exhausted Emma into the woods to play tag. She was amazing with the kids and they all loved her.

Another half hour passed and Abby soon joined me in the deck chairs along with Ben and his mate, Lexi. Everyone was winding down now. It was getting late and everyone was starting to get tired from the dancing.
I leaned over to kiss Abby before saying, "I'm going to go save Emma from the kids. She's probably exhausted from chasing them all over the woods."

"What a wonderful daddy you are," Abby teased, making me growl and kiss her once more.

As I straightened up and looked towards the woods, my blood ran cold in fear. Fear is not an emotion many alphas feel but it was burning through my veins like liquid nitrogen. All the little girls that had dragged Emma in the woods were running out, crying and stumbling, no Emma visible behind them.

I sprinted over to them, many of the pack warriors behind me. "What happened?" I asked them, making my voice as gentle as possible so that I didn't scare them more than they already were. It was hard, worry for Emma making my voice a little harder than I was aiming for.

Lisa was the first to answer me. "I was chasing Emma, Alpha and she ran into this man. She told me to run, but I wanted to help her. Then two more men came out of nowhere. We all tried to help Emma, Alpha, but she snarled at us, made us come back. They took her, Alpha!" she cried.

Elizabeth scooped her daughter into her arms as the other mothers did the same. I growled. It was loud and menacing and the pack warriors mimicked the growl, all of us looking to the woods. "Let's go get her back," I ordered them, before shifting and running through the woods.

Her scent disappeared not far from where the fight had taken place. We searched all night long and couldn't find a trace. We were not giving up. I would find my daughter if it was the last thing I did.

When I arrived back at the pack house, I sent out another round of warriors and had to order the ones that ran through the night to rest. They wanted to keep searching for Emma, but they were dead on their feet and I needed to make sure they were rested.

I stormed into my office and started calling all the alphas I had ties with. They all agreed to keep an eye out for her and to help us look for her.
When I hung up from a conversation with the last alpha on the list, I looked up to see Abby standing in the doorway of my office. Her face was red and puffy and tears ran down her face. I held out my arms and she collapsed into them, sobbing into my chest.

Our baby was gone and we didn't know where she was or who took her. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, followed by another. I pulled Abby tight to me and tried to comfort us both.

~~~*~~~Author's Note~~~*~~~

So what do you guys think?

I hope you all like it and if not, I'm sorry.

~Haley~