Doll

"Harold?" I placed my pen down on the desk and spun around in my chair.

"Yes, ma'am?" I took my glasses off to come face to face with the publishing boss. She was a young woman, perhaps a year younger than me, her hair was a wild mix of soft colors along purple, mint, blue, and some pink underneath the rest. Her eyes were an odd light shade of brown, which strangely matched with her unique hair, a ring piercing rested on her nose making her seem like an employee at an alternative clothing store. She wore tight black jeans, a white camisole, a nude blazer that matched with her heels and the lipstick on her.

"I need those columns. I want them at the editing office at four tops." She took the folders out from beneath her arm where she previously had them. "These are all articles for magazines. Don't be afraid to ask Donna for some help." She handed me a stack of purple folders.

"Donna?" I asked confused as I took the folders, standing up in the process.

"Mom magazines, Harold. Moms." I nodded and gently threw the folders on to the desk. "Also, I got another request for you." She rolled her lips into a thin line and looked up at me, a hopeful look shimmering in her brown eyes. I nodded for her to go on and she smiled confidently, whatever shyness before gone. "I want you to meet me at the cafe down the street, the one called Provecho? Have you heard of it?" I nodded. "Perfect, I'll be there at my break time which is at one."

"Alright. I'll meet you there." I said as she marched down the hall to some other office. I sighed as I plopped down to the chair, spinning in it for a couple of seconds before getting back to work. "Mom magazines." I let out a laugh through my teeth.

~

"Have you ever been here before, Harold?" I took a seat across the woman with loud hair and shook my head.

"No, I heard of it but, never bothered to come. I'm more of a stay at home and cook guy." I confessed, grabbing the small menu in front of me. "Have you?" I offered a small smile.

"I have, yes. It's amazing. I've only tried about three plates, but I know everything else must be spectacular." She grinned and hid her hands between her thighs, slightly leaning over the table. "By the way," she whispered as if it were against the law to speak causing me to lean over as well. "You can call me Molly."

"You can call me Harry." I smiled back at her as I leaned back on my chair. She placed her elbow on the back of the chair and played with the rings on her fingers.

"I suggest either the burgers or the pastas." She reached over and pointed at the section labeled Pastas and Burgers. "Specially the chicken one."

"Thank you." I said as I settled on that. "Molly?" She nodded. "I don't mean to be rude but, why are we having lunch together? You always take Donna with you."

"Donna and I are done." She bluntly said. "Besides, you're always quiet and never put yourself out there. Only when, what's her name?" She squinted her eyes and I cleared my throat, she continued nonetheless, unaware of my uncomfortable state. "Mallory! She was a beauty! Mallory." She slapped her hands down on her thighs and grinned. "You were really something with Mallory. What went wrong?"

"What went wrong with Donna?" I blurted out, annoyed at her nosy state. Her grin slowly vanished into a straight face and I felt embarrassed. "I didn't mean to..." I sighed. "I'm sorry. Mallory is a touchy subject." I stated with a sympathetic smile, she nodded and cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry. It's alright." She waved the waiter over and quickly told him our order. "I wanted to talk to you about something, but first I'm heading over to the restroom." I nodded and smiled politely at her.