#11 Test

"I- I- I got it sorted out. I figured it all out and I think..." I began, stammering, trying to get the words out. But those words were just running away as I tried to say them. "I think that I um, love you..."  I squeezed my eyes shut, terrified that he would hurt me. He will, it's just a matter of time, I was sure of that.
Peter didn't do anything for about ten seconds. But then he said, "I like you too."
I opened my eyes and looked deep into his through my long eyelashes. He wasn't lying. But he said like, not love. I had been trying for the longest time to stop loving everyone after... The incident. But here I was saying 'I love you', words that haven't left my mouth in 7 years. I hated myself, wanted to kill myself for telling him that. He was my captor, and I just showed him weakness. He could make me painfully suffer using that weakness.
Peter smiled and walked away. I wanted to cry, and I knew I was going to. But crying is weakness, so I turned and ran into the forest. Peter had shouted after me, asking what I was doing and to come back. I didn't listen I knew he was behind me, running but I just ran faster I ran as far as I could (which if you had ever seen me run isn't that impressive) I may not be the best at endurance, but I was very fast. Peter was still behind me, so I dove beneath a tree, quickly formulating a plan. He was pretty far behind me. The only way I knew he was there was because of his shouts, which I could still barely hear. I quickly made a contraption from some vines and branches. I hid right before he ran into the clearing. He paused, he had heard me so he knew I was here.
"Abby? You can run but you can't hide. I know where you are, this is my island!" He said. He slowly walked towards the bush I had dived into.
I yanked a vine next to me just as he stepped into the correct spot. Some vines shot down and grasped him under his arms, yanking him into the trees. Another vine shot out and threw itself around him- binding him a thick tree branch. He struggles as more vines came out to secure him.
"Abby! Let me go! What the heck are you doing?" He asked trying to break the vines. He tried, but it was no use.
I stepped out and said nothing. He looked at me but I just ran into the woods. I finally couldn't do it. I collapsed under a tree and the tears fell. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't do it! I bet Peter was going to use that against me, to hurt me. And it was my fault! The tear came harder and harder until I couldn't breathe. My chest heaved and I felt light headed. Everything hurt.
"Abby?" Peter entered the clearing, his face shocked at my state.
My tears fell harmed we and my breathing was practically nonexistent. Why? Why did this always have to happen. It makes death sound like fun.
Peter sat down and wrapped his strong arms around me, pulling me closer until we practically molded into one person. He stroked my hair and murmured quietly into my ear until I stopped crying and let oxygen reach my lungs.
It surprised me that Peter was cared even the slightest bit.
He looked at my eyes. "Abby? What happened?"
I couldn't tell him. I wasn't ready. "N- nothing!"
He didn't buy it. I didn't expect him to. He just looked at me like he understood why I didn't want to tell him or why I was bawling in the middle of Neverland. It scared me to find out which one.
He got up and I stood next to him. The fact that I had tied him to the tree crossed my mind. "I thought I tied you to the tree branch!" I said, more of a question than a statement.
"You did." Was all he said in response but I already figured out that he used magic. It wasn't hard.
He grabbed my wrist and gently yanked me forward as if exasperated that I was being so weak yet understanding that I was weak and vulnerable. I followed.
We arrived at camp and he made sure the lost boys didn't see my red eyes or downcast face. I knew why. He always abused the lost boys when they were crying. I don't blame him- they were weak! But I guess he didn't want to harm me further.
He took me into the fighting area and made the lost boys scram. Then he turned towards me and sent a flying kick at my gut. It hit and I fell back, crying out. Guess he did want to torture me.
"Get up." Was all he said. I knew I couldn't fight back, I needed to outsmart him. But at the moment my brain was foggy and tears began to fall again. I hated myself for showing weakness which made me cry harder which made Peter harm me more which made me cry more which made me hate myself which made me cry more and- it's a vicious cycle.
I gazed at him after about five minutes of this. I just sat there in the dust, knowing it would lose the fight. But I had to ask a stupid question, "Why are you hurting me, Peter?"
He looked at me long and hard and just when I thought he would brush off the question to hit me, he answered. "You cried in the forest. That's weak. I don't want you to be weak and we both know that if you are the world will kill you slowly and painfully using that weakness. So I'll make you strong."
With that he grabbed a knife and slowly advanced. I understood  now. This wasn't a punishment- it was a test. And we all know I always get an A+ on tests.
I got up and used the fact that I was fast and slightly flexible to run circles around him and finally disarm him and use it to pin him against a tree. I raised the dagger and aimed for his heart. Just when I was going to hit and saw how scared he was, I dug the knife to the side, pinning his shirt to the tree.
"I wouldn't stab you. This was a test, not a challenge." I stated and walked away as Peter struggled to get the knife out of the wood.