#14 Math Class

5 months. It's been 5 months since I last saw Peter. I got adopted by the worst family ever and attend school at Gates High School. Gates is the "problem school." As is drug deals in the hallways, guns in people's lockers, and just the most crappy people you could ever imagine. So that's my new school.

I was currently sitting in third period math class doing my work. I was just solving problem 37 when I felt an unsettling breeze. I glanced around at the idiots at my table, but they didn't notice. I looked down at my paper and shook my head, clearing my thoughts. I gazed at the doodles on the side of the work page. Pan's pipes, the camp fire, Peter's eyes, a mermaid tail, Neverland, the list goes on. So yes, I miss home. And yes, I want to go back. The number in my dreams already reached zero. On the last night I heard Peter scream in agony at the blows. That was the only time he did that. I hope Peter is safe, but knowing my luck, he's not. I'll bet he's dead.

I was halfway through problem 38 when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around slowly, but no one was there. The hand moved away.

The smell of damp forest and wood smoke wafted up to my nose. That's when I figured it out. Peter.

"Peter?" I whispered.

He didn't respond. I doubted he would. But I knew he was there. I could feel it. He was next to me. I shut the notebook and began to quietly put all my things away in my backpack.

I walked up to the desk. "Mr. Green?"

"Hmm?" Answered my math teacher, looking up from his book.

"May I use the restroom?" I asked, acting like it was an emergency.

He rolled his eyes. "Fine."

I turned on my heel and left the room quickly. I approached the bathroom and ducked inside the largest stall.

"Peter? Are you still there?" My voice echoed in the empty restroom.

"Yes."

I almost broke down right there. Hearing his voice after 5 months just... I didn't have the words to describe it.

The air in front of me rippled and he came into view.

I just stood there. I stared into his piercing eyes and at his face. It has been so long since I had seen his face...

He stared back at me.

Then I did something embarrassing. I broke down crying. The tears just kept flowing. I couldn't believe that he was alive, when I was so certain he was dead. I cried and cried. I simply couldn't bear it.

Peter ran closer and yanked me into a hug. "Sh. Calm down, love."

Hearing his voice broke me even more. I could feel everything falling down. I kept crying and couldn't stop.

He held me and he began to let loose some tears of his own.

I was able to get a gasp of breath. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean it, I didn't want to leave Neverland! But... Rumplestiltskin! He... He was going t- to kill you and I just couldn't let him and so I had to get far away and I- and I-"

"I know. It's okay, Abby." He said gently.

I looked up into his eyes.

"Thank you, Peter. Gosh, that was embarrassing! Don't tell anyone." I said, slightly laughing.

I felt like a bajillion pounds had been taken off of me. It was like breaking the surface of the water and getting a breath of air. It was like that feeling when you get away with it. It was total and complete relief.

I broke into the biggest smile, looking at Peter and knowing it was alright.

Then I heard something in the other stall. It was the sound of a blade being drawn. Then I heard a faint tick... Tick... Tick...

"HIT THE DECK!" I yelled slamming into the floor behind the toilet, dragging Peter behind me. Just as the walls between the stalls exploded.