The Headless Rider

Mikado had regretted it not to stay in Kida's apartment. That day was a Saturday and like daddy had said; 72 hours. That handicap was troubling him. It was a strategy to make the search easier. If he stayed in one place, he would be easily found. Papa was good at memorizing places in Ikebukuro so he would be toasted if he stayed in one place for too long.

Daddy was manipulative. Of course, Mikado hated it sometimes to know that he was adopted by those two. His parents were nice and he did not care if they were two men but if those two disagree on one thing their fight could destroy a house. And that's why daddy bought a mansion in Saitama.

The mansion in Saitama was supposed to be a safe house for him. His parents took care of him until he was capable of taking care of his own. Course his aunts were to keep him company but then something unexpected happened. He ran away from the mansion to an old apartment in Ikebukuro.

Probably he was bored with life in front of a computer screen or he just wanted to meet Masaomi again. Masaomi was his only friend in Saitama his parents didn't know about him though. They only knew him as the leader of The Yellow Scarves.

"Oh, Mikado-kun, you're up," Shinra said when he opened the door. "Just to check on you. Breakfast is ready, you should eat before you go."

"Hai," Mikado told.

"Good, I'll just leave you to get ready."

He closed the door and Mikado kicked his legs to the side of the bed.

Last night was already late, he couldn't go back to his old apartment and the abandoned factory where that man was killed was also out of question. It was a coincidence that he had ran into Celty who was trying to escape a few bikers and it was late at night so Mikado couldn't remember what he did. All he remembered was that he was standing in front of a pile of bikes and behind him was a pile of the bikers' bodies. Then, he thought he asked Celty for a place to stay and ended up in their guest room.

"Thanks for the meal," Mikado said after eating his breakfast.

"No problem," Shinra said. "I think I would watch TV."

The doctor hurried to sit on the sofa and turned on the TV while he helped Celty to clean up. Not that she ate anything.

『Mikado, what were you doing last night?』

Mikado saw the text and laughed nervously.

"I was running home late, I guess. But then I remembered that I couldn't go back to my apartment because I forgot to pay the rent," he lied the last part. Celty would freak out if she knew who his parents were. "Is there something wrong, Celty-san?"

The dullahan typed immediately. 『Nothing, just last night. Do you remember what you were doing?』

"Mostly blurry though," he told. "It was late at night, I always intend to forget what I was doing."

『I see...』

"Did I said something weird last night, Celty-san?"

『No, but I think you should stay a little longer. Your uniform from last night was actually covered in blood』

Mikado tried not to be shocked. He brushed it off and said; "It's okay, I have a spare in my bag. I would try to find a place today for tomorrow."

『Mikado, did you brought everything with you in that school bag of yours?』

"My casual clothes and my uniform," Mikado informed. "My school supplies and laptop too. So I should be able to go."

『Okay but could you leave your bloody uniform here?』

Mikado looked at her for a moment before nodding. He didn't remember what actually happened that night anyway.

°•ิ.•ஐஇஇஐ•.•ิ°

After Mikado left, Celty immediately grabbed Mikado's uniform that he left in the guest room. The uniform was not tattered but there was blood spatter all over it. Mikado didn't seem to notice about it last night. It was like he was comfortable with it. Sleep deprived could be one of the possibilities why he was like that last night. In fact, last night....

"Celty!" Shinra yelled from the living room.

Celty grabbed onto Mikado's uniform and ran to Shinra.

"Celty, do you know about this?"

In the TV there was a report about three murdered men and sixteen injured. They were bikers of Toramaru, the ones who were chasing after her bounty.

"Celty, what happened?" Shinra asked.

Celty took out her phone and quickly typed in: 『I didn't kill them.』

"I didn't asked you about that-"

『Mikado.』

"Eh?" Shinra scratched his head and Celty showed him a footage that she erased on the camera by the street.

The video showed Mikado carrying a school bag. His uniform was bloody already - that could be noted - and he was just crossing the street. Celty was passing by with the bikers behind her and Mikado somehow stayed still and dashed to the bikers.

"Does this kid have a death wish?!" Shinra yelled.

Celty smacked his head and gestured to tell him to be quiet.

There was static and in the end Mikado was standing in between a pile of bodies and black and white patterned bikes.

Shinra looked at Celty and asked her as she was the witness, "How did he do it?"

『His bare hands... and also a sharp broken metal from a street sign.』

"A street sign? Sounds like the style of a person I know," Shinra commented. "Anyways I have to ask-"

『No use, Mikado doesn't remember anything. Because you came in last night you didn't saw him wearing this.』

Celty lifted Mikado's tattered uniform and Shinra looked at it. The underground doctor took the clothing and observed it, giving Celty a glance, "You think Mikado-kun isn't human?'

『Probably.』

"Maybe he is superhuman," the doctor concluded. "I think I would inspect this. I may have to go down to the lab though."