Chapter 7 - Korbin

Chapter Seven

*Korbin's POV*

Tick. Tick. Tick.

The clock struck 4:00 a.m. and my eyes were still wide opened. I stared at the ceiling above me. I couldn't sleep at all.

Can't we go back to what we were before?

Her voice remained in my head and not leaving. Her question was playing in my mind repeatedly like a broken recorder and I did not have a single clue on how to fix it.

We can't.

We can, Kylie. Let's visit the beach during summer time. We will run around the field and roll on the grass during spring. Let's pick maple leaves when it started to fall and we could create a bookmark out of it. And when December comes, when the snow starts to fall, we will build a snowman and play snow war. Let's do playing house again. Let's read a bedtime story together again.

Let's go back to the past.

Let's go back to the times where there were only you and me.

How much I wanted time to revert to the days when we were kids, the times we shared, the things we did. But things are different now. I'm not the Korbin you once knew. And you... I want you to stay this way. You don't have to remember the incident if you do not want to. No one will force you. I wouldn't allow it. You don't have to remember the untamed side of me. It wasn't a beautiful memory to keep anyway.

I just want you to stay the way you are now.

I got up from my bed and headed over to my desk. I took out my note book from the drawer and flipped it randomly. I came to a stop when I saw the picture.

We were smiling brightly at the camera with your arms around my neck. This photo reminded me of that day when Kylie was smiling on her 14th birthday before that incident happened. At the very least, there was a good thing that happened on the same day.

I pictured her smile in my mind but soon, it was replaced by her bloody self, lying on the ground helplessly. I dropped the picture on my desk and headed to my wardrobe to pick out my running attire. I sprinted through the woods once I stepped out of the house. I needed to clear my mind. I did not know how long I have been running. I just needed to vent out all my emotions.

I came back home, all worn out from the run. As I was approaching the house, I saw my dad standing at the front and leaning against the door frame.

"Dad."

"Go and wash up. Your mum is preparing breakfast. Eat it before you go to school." Dad said as he walked into the house to find mum who was in the kitchen.

I obeyed his words and went back to my room to take a shower. I took my backpack from the chair and headed down to the dining table.

"I told your mum to prepare your favourite chicken soup with slices of baguette to go with it. Eat it while it's hot." Dad said as he pushed the basket of baguette towards me.

"Thanks, Dad." I picked up a piece of baguette and dipped into the soup before munching on it.

It really tastes good.

I licked my lips. I took the second piece of baguette and dipped into the soup.

"Eat slowly, Korbin." Mum came out of the kitchen with more baguette on her hand.

"It tastes so great, Mum. You are the best." I gave her a thumb-up.

"Thank you, Korbin." She said as she nudged her head to the side, signalling me to dad.