٣: WRAITH

The Underworld pulsed with colourless life; the only source of vibrancy was the blue-black river that parted the land. There was no sun or moon, no horizon, just a vast darkness. Constellations glimmered in the blackness; Wraith recognised them as the Akh, where the Ba and Ka of the deceased reunite to create stars. They gave off a dull glimmer that made the water beneath them sparkle.

      Aker and Wraith hovered above the river, it didn't ripple as the lion skimmed its large paws on the surface. On the bank to their right, turquoise trees scattered the black land. Fields were segmented through the trees and over to their left, large mounds and caverns created rocky landscape.

      "This is the First Gate, boy. Though, we aren't the Guardians here. The protector is an unnamed goddess that goes by the title of She-Who-Splits-The-Heads-Of-Ra's-Enemies. In this place, those who have been given a title are honoured; most of the demons and creatures that lurk here have similar names to that goddess and have shocking appearances," Tuau lifted a paw towards a rectangular arch made from iron.

       A woman stood underneath the iron; she wore a grey chainmail robe which matched the colour of her blank eyes. She adorned no beastly face, though she did have pointier ears than what was considered normal in the realm of the living. Her long black hair swayed as if a breeze passed through as it curled around her bronze skin.

     Vivid images of the first time Wraith came to the Underworld filled his mind. A fiery lake devoured the screams of his comrades that were plunged into an abyss for his crimes. Wraith shook himself mentally and turned towards Aker, "I know that there are Twelve Gates to represent each hour and even of Ra's regeneration. . .but does that mean we have to go through each one and battle their keepers?"

      Tuau grinned, obviously pleased with Wraith's sudden knowledge of the Underworld, "No because we aren't deceased souls. The landscape and goddesses change form towards the deceased souls that pass through here to reach Aaru. Consider this an incentive to stay alive this time."

       She-Who-Splits-The-Heads-Of-Ra's-Enemies acknowledged the group with a simple nod; she was almost as tall as the slanted iron gateway. The sides of the Gate slanted to a point where another slab of carved iron lay on top like the archways of noblemen's housing. The goddess moved aside for them to pass through.

      The Silent River continued its course, splitting the land in two as far as Wraith could see. They floated towards the Second Gate where two goddesses greeted them with nods. One of them wore a red gown that had sharp metal barbs protruding from the fabric, her crimson eyes flared as she saw Wraith. She pulled a silver whip from their path. Her counterpart, wore a green gown with metal coils around her waist, she pulled the matching whip in sync with the red goddess as their ink-like hair swayed.

      Tuau spoke as they passed through the Gate, "Those guardians are of the Second and Third Gate. The goddess in red is known as The-Wise-Guard-Of-The-Lord whereas her partner in the green is The-One-Who-Cuts-Through-Ba."

      Wraith's hand rubbed his stomach as Azizi's Ba fluttered anxiously, "Could we move faster through the Gates? I need to see the Great Father before Ra rises in the east."

      Sef snarled and slammed its paws into the water. The Silent River gave off no splash and the two banks stayed sickly quiet. The fact that the silence enveloped Aker and Wraith like a cloak, made the Head Son's skin itch.

      "You cannot rush Ma'at," Sef's eyes flashed in annoyance as Wraith only gave a shrug in response.

      The Fourth Gate didn't appear before them like the previous ones had; instead, the water spread out and devoured both banks. It was as if they were floating above a dark sea that lead out towards nowhere.