٩: ZIARA

"From Chigaru's stories, your Head Son hasn't changed one bit. . .no offence, but I'm surprised how you survived for as long as you did," Elijah stared distastefully at the shattered chair. "I don't see Anubis being lenient a third time." 

       As Ziara followed both men out into the corridor, it felt like someone had hit her over the head with a brick. A sharp pain emanated from her right temple and spread across her face like a searing heat. Ziara pressed her left hand against the wall and gripped her right eye with the other, was this Sekhmet's doing?

       "Zi―" Isfet cut himself off when Ziara collapsed. 

      She blinked. One moment she was against the wall, the next she was on her side on the floor. Her breath came in short gasps as her vision moved in and out of focus. Eye of Ra and the Wadjet. Wraith knelt next to her shaking body and nodded at Isfet to leave them. 

     For a moment, Ziara swore his image distorted to a jackal. 

      "Sekhmet has lay dormant in you for so long," he hesitantly reached out and traced the curve of her jaw. "You are her literal Eyes, they are her parting gift." 

          Her trembling ceased beneath his touch. Being caught beneath Wraith's stare evoked a primal urge inside of her. As the spots cleared from her vision she looked upon the Head Son with clarity. His features were sharper and every detail seemed more refined.

     "I'm sorry if I offended you," she whispered, noting her chest heave under his stare. 

      He ignored her, moving his hand to her waist and rolling her into a kneeling position. Surprisingly, there was no awkward tension between them. He seemed to be content looking at her, absorbing her features with his eyes before his hands had the chance to wander. 

      "Can I ask. . .Head Son," Ziara bit her lip at the slight tremble in her voice. "What was so significant about the Eighteenth Dynasty to you?" 

       He exhaled hair from his nose, Ziara wasn't sure if it was an attempt at a laugh, his expression gave nothing away. Wraith's thumb circled her hip bone, "Our influence was usurped by Aten. Our temples were shut, the statues dismantled and used in Amarna. . .the only way to survive was to strike alliances and hide underground before the Priests of Aten could find us." 

      "However, we shouldn't have feared Aten but another one of our own. Most believe it was the Sons of Horus but many remain unsure. There were sieges on the remaining temples and the Children were wiped out. After that, Ma'at seemed to be restored. Amarna was abandoned as was Akhenaten's title as Pharaoh, but it was at the cost of the Sons and Daughters." 

      "I don't remember much towards the end of my Dynasty, but I remember the Great Father manifesting from one of the coldest nights we had ever seen. I was alone, my Sons were not with me. But Anubis trapped me and separated each portion of my being. I then was forced to watch each of my Sons burn in the Lake of Fire while I remained bound at the foot of Anubis in the Hall of Judgement. I don't know how long I remained there, but eventually I was given a deal." 

      "Anubis wanted me to rebuild his empire and I would be rewarded with the parts to make me whole. Isfet and Anuka were the only remaining Sons who had not found Aaru and were given a second chance at life. I was then tasked with capturing souls to join the Sons of Anubis and then trade for portions of myself," his voice shook "However that doesn't concern me as much anymore. In the Duat I was told a prophecy. . .my own thread of destiny. . .I wonder where it will lead." 

       Ziara didn't know what to say, she was still at the mercy of his eyes. Rather than pry further, she slowly stood and extended her hand to him. He didn't take it, the small lapse of vulnerability faded as quickly as it came and he was already half way down the hall before she could take a step.