١٧: ZIARA

Harry Massit was harder to locate than first thought. The Sons of Horus stood beneath the awning of Cleopatra A'la Nile, the hideout of the notorious Azizi Raheem. Carn kicked at the broken glass while Hotep threw rocks at the barricaded windows. Deep down, he prayed that Ziara's father hadn't bolted out of sheer panic—Harry was leverage.

       "They've certainly been here, all I can smell is mutt," Hoi ran a handful of sand between his palms. "They couldn't have travelled too far, Isfet's Art has left the air humid."

       "Surely we could've stayed at the bar a little longer, I was enjoying having my feet up," Hatem rolled his eyes.

       "If we're lucky, the Daughters of Seshat haven't sent word to them. But if we're to confront them and get everything set in motion, it has to be now," Carn shouldered past his Sons and gestured for them to follow him through the streets.

       At Ziara's apartment complex, no incantation could hide the mar that had taken place. Large chunks of stone were missing from the circular drive, debris was embedded in the surrounding walls as well as scorch marks.

      "We're late," Hoi scowled.

       "Fashionably," Carn grunted.

        "We need something to flush them into the open," Hotep twirled his spear. "Something they won't expect."

        Carn nodded, "Hatem. . .take a pot shot at them through the window. If shit hits the fan, be prepared to follow the secondary plan in Naqada City, its ruins are North of Luxor and I'm positive that's where our target has gone if he isn't here. You and the other Sons will lay in wait for further instruction there."

          "All of this to get an Eye," Hatem shook his head. "Let's go."

• • •

       If Anuka hadn't deflected the projectile into the far wall, the Sons of Anubis would've gained an embalmed kebab. The arrow skewered the door frame and had Nathanial roll beneath the coffee table with Ibu. Anuka looked around to see where it could've come from but there was no vantage point across from Ziara's building.

      "We have company," Anuka's fangs sunk into view. "My guess is a rat with wings."

       Averting her gaze, Ziara's Wadjet watered. Instinctively she wiped her eye to avoid the others noticing. If it were the Sons of Horus, Carn would be waiting for her. She needed answers about Harry and everything else—and she certainly wasn't going to allow him to run away again.

       Lacy clutched her khalasaris tight and sniffled, "If it's the Head Son I want him dead; he deserves it."

      "I can't touch him without consequence," Wraith folded his arms and shifted his attention to Ziara. "Perhaps we can use him for our benefit, maybe as ransom, or we could torture him for entertainment."

       "Is torture against the treaty?" Nathanial asked, sticking his head out from under the table.

     "Only one way to find out," Wraith quipped with a sigh. "Ziara, come with Anuka and I. Nathanial and Isfet will flank from the side via the fire exit."

      "Head Son, I want to come too," Lacy scrubbed at her eyes as a fresh set of tears threatened to spill over. "I–I know I'm not physically helpful but. . .I want to look him in the eyes. I want him to know I was her family."

       Wraith's mask of impassivity twitched slightly, "If it provides closure, but I'm not here to pick a fight, not when my men aren't at their maximum capacity."