Chapter 5

Xyzle left Claire's room. She had managed to calm down, and was now enjoying Mexican style tacos.

His heart was racing. He had warned his father that if he did this, it was possible he may end up in a situation where his loyalty to the Mykalean race could be compromised. He hadn't listened.

He did not know what love felt like. According to the Mykalean theories, love did not exist. Marriage was simply to keep the race going – to create offspring in an optimal home environment.

Humans had a different idea of love. It existed to them. The man and woman would go through an odd ritual called "dating"...and when they had fallen in love, the man would propose. If they didn't fall in love, they'd go their separate ways.

As his heart raced, and his face flushed, he couldn't help but wonder if the Mykalean theory was wrong. If it was wrong, this changed everything. It changed how they would invade, how they act around the humans...everything was different.

He hurried to his room. It was one of the biggest on the ship due to his height, but that was only part of it. His father had built the ship specifically for him.

He sat down at the computer, and began to do some more research. Luckily, they had already patched into what the humans called the "internet", so he had everything available to him. Going to one of the many search engines they had invented, he typed in "what is dating". A small box came up with the definition of the word "date". However, it wasn't what he wanted.

He sighed in frustration and ran a hand through his hair. The question was too broad. Then he had an idea. He replaced his first question with "first date places". Then he added the city and state they were over.

That got him even better results. He knew they would only be here for another couple of days, but it was enough for him. He wanted to see Earth piece by piece, and not from the atmosphere.

A restaurant caught his eye. It had a five star rating, which must have meant it was good. He found the website and looked at what they had. It was a typical American restaurant, but it seemed to have what the humans called a "retro" theme.

He made reservations for two for the next day. His hands were shaking as he did so. If his father found out he was taking a subject down, he was going to be in so much trouble.

He took a deep breath. Now all he had to do was ask her out. The sound of it made him shiver. It was not in Mykalean nature to be so...engrossed by one person. The feeling was new and scary.

However, he had never been much like the rest of his race.

He took a deep breath and stood up from his computer desk. It'd take him a few moments to work up the courage to ask her out – especially if she said no.

With that, he decided to go talk to Claire. If she was clam now, maybe it'd entertain her. Maybe she'd say yes.

He walked out of his room. Then, he began to walk through the ship's halls. It took a few moments, but he found the courage to slide his key through the reader, and pushed the door open.

"Xyzle...I-I didn't think you would be coming back so soon." She sounded surprised to see him.

"I know. Umm...have you ever been to a restaurant called Suzy's?" He couldn't believe he was doing this. When she nodded, he continued. "I, uh, made reservations for two for tomorrow night."

"Xyzle, are you trying to ask me out?" She caught on quickly. When he nodded, she laughed and smiled.

"Yeah. I-I..." He was unsure of what to say.