Chapter 15

Xyzle had spent the past two months making sure Peter stayed alive. It had taken almost too much work to make it worth his while.

What was even worse was that he began to feel jealous. This humane feeling meant he was envious, or that he simply desired something of Peter's.

Peter had confided in him a couple of days ago that he had fallen in love with Claire, but was too shy to say something about it to her. Though Xyzle thought that was sad, he was also happy he had yet to do anything about it.

Since the confession, he had felt his heart pounding every time he thought about Claire. For her safety, he had not gone to see her again.

It hadn't taken long for his father to find out that he had taken her back. By the time he got to her apartment, however, she had packed up and left. She'd even taken the bracelet he made her.

Xyzle didn't know why he cared so much about her accepting a gift from him, or why he cared about her in general.

Not once had her name expressly passed his lips in two months. However, when his father or Peter would speak about her, his cheeks would turn a graphite color. His heart would race. All he could think about was how he had held her tight and close that one day, and how she had welcomed the embrace.

Now he was on ship arrest. It was similar to house arrest, but he was on the ship instead at home. His key card had been taken away, and he was sequestered to his room.

It wasn't all bad, however. His room had one of the largest windows on the ship. For hours a day now, he sat in front of the window, and watched. He hoped to see Claire through the window before his father did.

He spotted her coming out of the restaurant a month ago. Luckily his father hadn't noticed her then.

Now, they had returned to that same spot over the Earth. It was just about closing time for Suzy's.

That's when he saw her walk out of the restaurant. She was wearing a dark green dress with a single shoulder. Silver detailing covered the front of the bodice. Some silver detailing was also on the back, meeting the shoulder seam. The dress's skirt reached the floor. It obscured her shoes.

Her hair was done up in a bun on the top of her head. She had on light, neutral makeup. Overall, he thought she looked quite amazing.

Then he saw the bracelet that she was wearing. Though it was a little worn, he recognized it as the one he had made her.

The rose wasn't even coming off. He hadn't thought it'd stand up to being worn as often as it seemed to be worn.

Then she looked up. Their eyes met as they did that fateful morning when he took her.

He blinked a couple times in shock as she smiled, and waved up at him. How could she see him? The ship was still incredibly high up in the air.

He managed a smile and waved back. What she did next startled him. Her hand curled in and then flattened out.

He'd read about that sign online. She wanted to see him, on Earth. His father hadn't taken his watch...

He could probably get away for a few moments. However, it wouldn't last long.

She made the motion again. Though she was all alone, she didn't notice the man in the shadows.

That's what prompted him to act.

In seconds, he was standing between Claire and the man behind her. Startled, the man charged at him. His mistake was having a metal item in his hand. It touched him, and he manipulated it.