Chapter 12

Claire woke up to sun in her face. She turned over on the bed, further entangling herself in the blankets.

A light chuckle made her sit up. Looking towards the sound still half asleep, she couldn't be sure whether she was dreaming or awake.

Xyzle was in the room, with breakfast.

"Breakfast in bed? I didn't think prisoners got this kind of surprise." She threw in a light laugh as she asked.

"They do when they've been so cooperative." Xyzle's quick wit showed. He set the tray on the bed, allowing her to sit against the wall.

"Thanks." She smiled a little, and picked up the tray. The tray had a plate of pancakes, a small plate with butter, and a small bowl with syrup. "Wow, all out. Cooperating is big to you, isn't it?"

He nodded.

"We want this invasion to be as peaceful as possible." When he said that, she balked.

"Peaceful? Xyzle, I don't know if you know this, but as a race, humans will not give in so easily. The governments will fight." She began to spread butter on her pancakes as she spoke. "Before you ask, every country has their own government. Many do not get along well, but against something like an alien invasion...they'd join up and try to stop you. It might be faster than they'd be willing to start a war against each other."

"That's an interesting tidbit." He seemed worried now. "Is it really going to be that hard to get them to go along with our plan?"

She nodded.

"However, I know someone on what we call the United Nations. I might, might, be able to talk him into letting us come. If it happens, I can't guarantee that you will be received well." She poured some syrup over her pancakes as she spoke. "Just because my friends, and myself, think it's pretty cool to know you doesn't mean you'll receive that same kind of acceptance the whole world over." Then she began to eat.

"I'm aware of that." He did not argue this point with her. "However, my father's message for the human race is quite clear. Please, help me convey it to the world." He took her free hand. She swallowed hard.

"Are you asking me to...to join you?" She wasn't sure what to think of that. "To join your army?"

"Yes. You wouldn't have to fight anyone, but if you joined us, it may convey that we are a peaceful people." He was stuck on the notion of a peaceful surrender.

"With a tracker in my arm, it'll seem like a coerced partnership." She stated it simply. "I don't think I can do it. I-It...It doesn't feel right." She looked down, ready to take another bite of her breakfast.

"It doesn't feel right? What do you mean?" Though she could hear a twinge of anger in his voice, it carried more curiosity.

After she swallowed, she began to cut more of her pancakes to eat. She wasn't sure how to explain it. It took a couple of bites more to figure it out.

"I'm human. We feel a... an obligation to our race when it is threatened. Times of distress are often when we come together the best; World War II is one of the best examples." She managed to say something. It probably wasn't the best explanation, but it was better than nothing.

"Will you think about it, at least?" He brushed some hair out of her face.

"Yeah. I still have two months on the ship, Xyzle. I've got time to think." She managed a little laugh.

The dizzy feeling returned as he retracted his hand.

"Claire, I hope you give it some serious consideration. Even my father is warming up to you, which is difficult to make happen." At that, he stood up.