Chapter 24

The line rang once. Then twice. Then three times. Then, someone picked up.

"Jackson Armstead speaking." The person he wanted to speak with had picked up the phone.

"My name is Xyzlendisquin. I'm...friends with Peter Sinclair." It took him a moment to finish the thought. "Claire Davidson suggested I speak to you."

"I'm intrigued...why would you need to talk to me?" The tone of his voice conveyed to Xyzle a look with the eyebrow raised. "I don't have a lot of time this morning, sir."

"You are a representative in the United Nations, is that correct?" He was suddenly thankful he spoke directly and to the point. In a situation like this, it was helpful.

"Yes. Why does this matter?" Again, the tone of the man's voice was full of curiosity.

"I would like to attend. I have...issues that should be heard by them, and I have no other way to get in." There was silence on the other end for a few moments.

"Everyone has issues they think should be heard by the UN. Why are yours any different?"

"Mine are different because if they are not heard, many thousands of humans will die."

"...Meet me in front of the UN building in three days. Bring Miss Davidson and Peter if you can."

"About that...Peter is...dead." He couldn't find the right words to say it gently. "My father had a maid kill him. He is only the first of a long line of many to die if these issues are not heard, Mr. Armstead. Claire will be unable to come; she is barely out of surgery." He tried to stay to the point and gentle. The two did not mix well.

"That's even more reason to hear your issues out. Where will Miss Davidson be staying?"

"We do not know. She is staying overnight in the hospital, but we do not have somewhere permanent to stay while here."

"My family has a home there that we rent out. It's currently empty; you and Miss Davidson are welcome to stay there as long as you need, rent free." There was a noise on the other end of the line, and a voice. "That's my flight. I have to go."

"Thank you, Mr. Armstead. I will see you in three days." He was about to hang up when Mr. Armstead stopped him.

"Does Miss Davidson have her cell phone with her?"

"Yes."

"I'll text her the address of the home. You are free to find it and go in tonight if you wish."

"Thank you, again, Mr. Armstead." With that, the conversation ended, and he hung up the pay phone.

Thinking over what he had been told, he walked back to the room where Claire was situated.

Upon walking in, he saw that she had pulled the blanket closer, and her eyes were closed. She needed rest, and he didn't blame her for falling asleep while he had been on the phone.

Then her eyes opened. She hadn't been in a deep sleep. He sat down beside her bed, unsure of what to say.

"No, I wasn't asleep. I had no company." She laughed a little. "What did Jackson say?"

"He's going to text you an address. His family has a house here, and he's going to let us stay there while you recover." Xyzle started with the good news. "However, he wants me to meet him at the UN building in three days. He said Peter's death was reason enough to hear me out."

"I still can't believe your father had him killed...but I hope he's the only one that is killed." She sighed. He took her hand gently in his, rubbing circles on the back of her hand again with his thumb.