Chapter 6

Claire sat up when the door opened a few minutes after Xyzle left. He had returned, and had another alien with him.

"Claire, this is the ship's doctor, Yunistein. He will check up on you." With that, Xyzle left the room again.

The other alien walked closer to her.

"You are a doctor?" She tried to make her voice louder, but she couldn't. The alien nodded.

"Yes. I am also a scientist, and what you would call a police man, or so Peter tells me." This caught her attention.

"You know Peter?" She managed a smile as he started the checkup.

"Yes. I was one of the scientists meant to study him. Due to his heart transplant, we cannot do anything for a month. Open and say 'ah' for me." He pulled out a wooden stick – a tongue depressor. She did as he asked.

The rest of the checkup was silent. Yunistein must have read up on what her doctors would do. He had to draw blood, but she did not mind so much.

When he was done, he handed her a pill.

"I believe you ingested some mercury. It is harmless to us, and so is abundant here. However, it will not be lethal. That pill should help with the nausea." He calmly explained what was going on, and made sure she had some water to take the pill with.

"Thank you." She managed to say something after she took the pill. "Could you tell the chef I will not be eating dinner?"

"Actually, you should eat something. It will help circulate the mercury and get it out of your system faster. You do not need to eat much if you still feel nauseous when the food arrives." His advice surprised her. Was that true?

"You think so?" She couldn't help it. She'd never felt so sick before.

"Yes, I do. I would suggest something light, but yes, you should eat something." He took the empty cup from her before leaving the room.

Claire lay back on the bed. She didn't feel like someone was out to get her, but she knew that mercury was not good for her.

She closed her eyes and tried to fall asleep again. It didn't last long. The door opened again, and she had to open her eyes.

She had been expecting it to be Xyzle, or Yunistein. It was neither. Instead, it was an alien with magenta skin. Xyzle's words came back to her; his father has magenta skin.

"Xyzle's father, right?" She managed to sit up, avoiding a feeling of lightheadedness. The alien nodded.

"My name is Nexivox." His voice reminded her of Xyzle's. It was a deep, chesty voice, with something that she couldn't place. "I understand your name is Claire. Is that correct?" She nodded slowly.

"I apologize if I am slow; there was some mercury in my tacos and I'm not feeling quite well." She managed to say something.

"I understand." He did not press for more details. "You cooperated with the scientists, yes?" She nodded. "My son told me as much."

"Your son is very...unique." She chose her words carefully. "I mean that in a good way." That much was genuine.

"He has been spending a lot of time in here lately. What is your view of love?" By now, Nexivox had taken a seat on the metal chair in the room. He'd pulled it over to the bed, his frame towering over her.

"Of love?" She asked for clarification. He nodded. "If I fall in love, it would be with someone who...who understands me. They would take the time to know me. I would know their darkest, deepest secrets; that is part of love." She realized her voice had gone all dreamy. Nexivox looked disgusted.